Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op-amp clipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

galneweinhaw

Hi,

I've got a 2 stage 4 pole 2dB Chebychev low bandpass filter (f/ pg 274 Art of Electronics2nd Ed). w/ +/-9V power the output is clipping between 1 and 2 V.... this is using TL072 and LF353...

ANy Ideas why it is doing this? I was expecting output up to ~9V

thanks,
GE

Edit +/- 9 V clips at 1/4Vp-p.... +/-18V clips at 2.5Vp-p!!!!!!!!!

Russlk said:
Can you post the schematic? Have you checked that it is built correctly?

I know the output is giving the exact response I was expecting filter-wise.... just that it's clipping too soon.

I'll try and post a schematic of it.

-GE

Russlk said:
Can you post the schematic? Have you checked that it is built correctly?

Schematic attached

Attachments

• cheby.jpg
    cheby.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 793
mmm u do realise you have set up a votage divider with 1M and 100k ie

100k/1.1M = 0.1/1.1 = 0.9 of the true output. That might be what it is

Styx said:

But that can't explain the Max Output of 1.4V can it?

Styx said:

That's 0.09, not 0.9, which is exactly why the clipping occurs. Why do you need this voltage divider?

Ron H said:
That's 0.09, not 0.9, which is exactly why the clipping occurs. Why do you need this voltage divider?

Sweet you guys are awsome.... I'm not sure why it's needed, but at least I know what the problem is now. I was following a recipe for the circuit, I'm gonna check if it's necessary.

From what I remember I think the divider provides an overall gain ~1 for the filter.

I'll check back with an update if I can figure out more.

Thx again for the help!

-GE

Let's say that you are getting a full 9V out of the 2nd op-amp.

Voltage Divider Rule (voltage across the 100k resistor):

Vout = Vin * R1 / (R1 + R2)

Vout = 9V * 100k / (1M + 100k) = 0.818V

If you measure across the whole thing you'll get the voltages you were expecting.

edit: looks like i was a bit late.

Future troubleshooting

GE, in the future, you might consider going back with your scope and checking the signal at the output of each amplifier before you scratch your hair thin. Most likely, you'd have found the signal levels you wanted at each of the outputs and then the low signal at the 100K resistor, clueing you in to the likely problem. In the end, the amps were clipping where they were supposed to be clipping, at around 8.5v or so and then attenuated at the output to that low voltage.

Checking at the output of an op amp will give you all sorts of information as to what may be going on. It's also a nice, low-impedance point that won't be loaded down by anything you'd normally use for test equipment.

Dean

I simulated your filter, it has 15 dB gain which you don't need, see below.
I designed a 0.2 dB Cheby low pass which has the added advantage of using standard values, attached below.

Attachments

• ORIGINAL_FILTER.jpg
    ORIGINAL_FILTER.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 573
  • 0P2DB_SCHEM.jpg
    0P2DB_SCHEM.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 585
  • 0P2DB_PLOT.jpg
    0P2DB_PLOT.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 584
Ron H said:
Styx said:

hehe. tnx this was posted just before i started work forgot a factor of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back