Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ooops, killed my meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
Whilst working on my old 'scope I accidently connected my meterman 37xr to 1050v, instead of 600v.
I wasnt all that concerned as the meter can measure 1000v, and I didnt think 50v over would harm it.
But the meter said bzzz, and now on Dc volts shows 2.5v with nothing connected, and permanently 0 on Acv.
Frequency, capacitance and inductance were blown a long time ago.
So I think I'll replace it with a 25 quid special instead of zapping a decent meter, even though 'decent' meters take more to zap.

If there is any consolation, I believe that most of us in this forum have zapped a meter at least once in our life.

So it makes sense to employ disposable DMMs for risky measurements.

The supplier I got this from nearly 20 years ago still has them, for 150 quid.
And on ebay you can get them for 550 quid.
Seeing as I broke the inductance/capacitance bit not long after I got it, I dont think I'll bother with a 'fancy' one anymore.
The one i have now was 10 quid, and has a Rs232 output, it just transmits continuous, no receive.

I would remove battery to reset. Also check condition of the two fuses. Reassemble. Test.

Once you get your cheap meter you can find the faults on the expensive one!

I fried my Mastech some years ago, not completely, just very inaccurate, it's been sitting in a drawer ever since waiting for me to fix it. Still not done even since I got the Brymen.

Last edited:
If there is any consolation, I believe that most of us in this forum have zapped a meter at least once in our life.

So it makes sense to employ disposable DMMs for risky measurements.
I agree, especially in your case where you alrelady have blown your frequency, capacitance and inductance. I gues you don't need them also.

I suggest these 2, they look rather basic, but I don't know if they will suit your needs :
1. 24 USD.
2. 13 USD.

A lot of cheap multimeters are made by the same company, they just badge them up for the individual brand. Uni-t, Vichy, Victor, Tenma, Axiomet, CEM, etc etc. I think they are all made by this company: http://www.china-total.com/
I don't think any of them look like the RichMeters ones though.

Last edited:
I spent a long time digging whilst looking for a replacement for the Mastech, and got suspicious when I found the Axiomet meters from TME, so I dug a little deeper and that's what I found. At that point I stopped considering all those brands. No reason to think they aren't accurate, but I don't trust them for internal protection at all.
I'd have got Mastech again but the upper voltage on them is lower than everyone else, and experience would show they don't have good protection either.

Hence my idea of sod it & get a cheap naff one.

HI Doc that Farnell job looks good for 10 quid .. Yep I killed one .. well it stopped working ,was a Fluke ( old work meter ) so current is a Vici VC97 ...was about 20 GBP has a transistor test socket ( never used ! ) its a bit annoying as it bleeps and switches off after a few minutes, usually just a i am ready to read it ... I also have an old trusty Beckman T100B..

I think eBay is a more reliable shop then Amazon in general.
Wow, are you saying that the individually-developed processes and customer service of 150,000,000 million random sellers is, in general, more reliable than amazon's refined processes and globally harmonized distribution network?

I'm not sure I agree. I've ordered more than 500 items from Amazon with only one hiccup yet dozens of lost shipments, forgotten shipments, wrong items, mislabeled items, over-advertised items and many other errors in ebay. You are one lucky individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back