Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Only Monday and already we have stupid of the week winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
Boring story short, in my outside lab (secure building) is a small stock room for my company, because of some the stuff we keep in it the store is also VERY secure. Nothing much of value but it has to be secure. So steel door,alarmed and three locks, two of those locks are hardened and meet all insurance standards.

In all honesty its way over the top but it is what is required for us to keep some the things we do keep. Well today for some **** reason the key wouldnt work in the lock, i spent ages with it but no luck. You cant file it or mess with the key much as they are laser cut and cost a nightmare.

So in the end i had zero option but call a lock smith, I explain the kind of lock and the type of key, i explain the lock is hardened and not coming out easy. I also explain (although i shouldnt have to) that if you tamper with the lock then part of it breaks and its game over, no choice you got to get a new lock. The guy assures me he knows the kind of lock i am on about and he can get hold of one in 2-3 hours and come up and fit it.

I should point out there is actually a way in to the store without using the door...

Anyway he turns up and looks at the lock, goes to the van and comes back with a battered old cordless drill, i inhale and explain that IMHO the drill is not gonna do anything, in fact if the lock isnt broken then the drill is going to break the thing inside and seal my doom. But know he just stares at me and starts to try and drill the lock out!!

Fair play to him, 3 hours and 4 batteries later having burnt out 10 drill bits, he says he didnt think the lock would drill out!! Actually it didnt look like it had been scratched. So he goes to the van and brings out a bolt gun type thing, i didnt think this was a great idea but said nothing, he put the bolt bit to the lock and pressed the trigger. THUD and crack, when you looked at the lock after and you can see a little bar has dropped!

Got the guy to go away in the end and have the people who fitted the door coming out..... This is so gonna hurt!!

Now the stupid bit (oh yes that wasnt the stupid bit), i decided i would make sure the other two locks were locked up for the night. I took my keys out, remember the bit where two locks are same type? Well thats when it dawned on me i had tried to open the wrong lock with the wrong key!! Nothing up with the lock to start with!! I tried to use the other key.....

But now the lock has had it because the anti mess with me bit has triggered!! So i nominate myself for stupid of the week.

Door lock done!!! Yay.......

4 hours of work and only cost £750! I got 28 days to pay as i am a business :(. One good thing though, he has given me a slightly different lock this time, same specs but the key is different. Apparently he says i should have those locks on the outside of a building, i need to check that as insurance people insisted but lock guy says in the even of a fire no one is getting through those doors in a hurry.

He has only seen them inside on cupboards in uni chem labs. He asked how much of it i had, 50ml i said, thats when he says that new regs coming in mean under 100ml and i can use a chem safe instead of a safe store (if you see what i mean). thats a huge drop in insurance, 50ml is likely to last me 20-30 years!!

All things considered, I'll second the nomination! :)

Sometimes, LG, we're our own worst enemy ... :banghead:.
Yeah even for me it was dopey, the worst bit being i had a blue slip on sleeve for one key and a red one for the other, but never used them lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back