Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Omnidirectional LED lightbulb is OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
The below (attached) is an omnidirectional LED lightbulb. It comprises seven PCBs, each one "aiming" in a different direction so that the light is spread out evenly, just like in one of the old incandescent bulbs.
Do you think that this solves the problem of the individual LEDs narrow beam-ness?
Surely a 15W version of this would be brighter than an old 100W incandescent bulb?

The LED PCBs would all be big enough, and comprise enough cooling copper "land" area , such that no aluminium heatsink was required. Making aluminium from bauxite takes prodigious amounts of energy, so aluminium should not be used in heatsinks for lightbulbs....do you agree?

Attachments

• omnidirectional led light bulb.pdf
    182.4 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
All lightbulbs have a rating in lumens for brightness.
A 40W incandescent or 9W CFL produces 600 Lumens and a 60W incandescent or 13W CFL produces 800 lumens.
I don't have a 100W incandescent light bulb anymore but a 23W CFL produces 1400 lumens.

I do not think an LED light bulb with many little LEDs in different directions will produce many lumens.

Someone on another thread talked about an LED lightbulb that draws 7W and produces 500 lumens. I think it has one wide angle LED.

Page 7 of the Cree XP-E LED datasheet shows that even wide angle LEDs are still fairly unidirectional...with the peak occurring sharply in the zenith.

cree xp-e led datasheet:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQFjAC&url=https://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/XLampXPEHEW.pdf&ei=HviEUv-aO8yAhAevlIGYDQ&usg=AFQjCNHkYbNBxDCLHiKkrTGAoGgHZcfTNg&sig2=BF7etFLx2znnrRwwuscZtA

Would you agree that a 15W LED bulb with the LED PCBs as in the above diagram would be more omnidirectional than using a 15W led lamp with just one pcb comprising the same amount of leds , but with them all just pointing straight down?

I mean, why should having the seven separate "aimed" led pcbs make it overall dimmer?

When the light is spread out then in one direction it is dimmer. When the light is focussed in a single direction then it is much brighter in that direction.

I have seen many light fixtures that point light down and around but not up. Others point light up and around but not down. Then they are not omni-directional.
Some LEDs have a directionality of 235 degrees. The brightness at the extremes is almost the same as at the peak because our vision's sensitivity to brightness is logarithmic. Half the brightness looks almost the same as full brightness.

Half the brightness looks almost the same as full brightness.

So you can take all your led bulbs, halve their power , and virtually not notice?

Half the brightness looks almost the same as full brightness.

So you can take all your led bulbs, halve their power , and virtually not notice?
Our vision works with a wide range of brightness. We can see in moonlight and in sunlight.

Just like sound. Double the power in a speaker is only a little louder. 10 times the power sounds twice as loud.
Then we can hear a whisper and hear something extremely loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back