Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Olimex USB Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR33PN

Hi,

I am having a problem programming chips with an Olimex USB programmer (pickstart plus clone).

I have set the programmer in MPLab to Pickstart Plus and the Olimex appears to opperate the same whether there is a chip in the ZIF socket or not. If I read when there is no chip in the socket it gives me the same HEX file as if the chip is in there. Also if I do a blank check without a chip in the ZIF then it says device is blank when I would have thought it would have given some kind of error.

Any suggestions for this problem?

Ok did that but didn't change anything and still get the same result.

When I connect to the Olimex through MPLab it says I have PICSTART Plus Firmware Version 04.50.09 so I'm assuming this is the latest version (Upgrade 130).

I don't know what to tell you i use pickit2 I was hoping that would hook you up
you know you have to have the 18f252 installed

Well can you firstly tell me whether a picstart plus should give the response "Read successfully" when there is no chip in the zif socket to read?

What could be causing it to think there is or what could it actually be reading? Could it be the 18F252 that's part of the programmer?

What do you mean by "you know you have to have the 18f252 installed"? Yes it is in installed in the programmer which has been used before no problems, I have just inherited it from somone.

The PicStart+ clone looks very different than a Genuine PS+. It may have been only a emulator at the software level and may not be compatible with modern PS+

the original had a 17C series PIC but an update PCB socket adapter came out a few years ago that used an 18F PIC

try an older MPLAB like 5.xx if you can still find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back