Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Older tape deck capstan motor usually works for forty minutes and stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.Smith

Howdy. I'm someone with virtually no electronics experience but who doesn't want to utilize a repair shop unless absolutely necessary. I have this forty year old Akai reel to reel deck that plays just fine for maybe forty or fifty minutes and then all of a sudden the capstan motor slows down and then completely comes to a stop. It won't work again for several hours and then will play once again for forty minutes and once again stops. My question: Is there a component (old capacitor, old diode, transistor, etc.) that might typically heat up, etc and cause this to happen. Hopefully someone will have some idea they are willing to share.

Sincerely,
R.Smith
Iowa

often problems in decks this old are mechanical at first. Check for stretched drive belts or worn rubber drive wheels. It could be dried out motor sleeve bearings also. Never rule out electronic failures but first suspect mechanical items that normally came lubed from the factory and may have dried out over time.

check the motor drive IC's for dust or corrosive deposits that may cause leakage currents upon their dielectric capacity being compromised after operation for some time (the 40 min).clean with benzene home drycleaner avoiding the rubber parts. you may check for overheating ceramic capacitors if the preceeding doesnt work.replace then or play with values 25% to 75% above or below those of the capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back