Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old Tv Repair parts. Are they useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fintek

A friend at work just had a relative pass away, and he worked at an electronics repair shop in the 80's to the 2000's. While cleaning out his house, he found all the parts he stashed from when his shop closed. There are a lot of specialty chips such as horizontal deflection control, demodulators, chroma, etc... and they may be specific to a particular brand of TV.
Of course there are a bunch of caps and resistors (which I plan to keep) and generic IC's as well.
I'm slowly making a database of what I have, and will soon be looking to find a new home for this stuff.... or I'll turn it into jewelry or something if there is no one left that could use it.
Does anyone know if these types of components are of any use to anyone anymore? I'd hate to see them go to waste.
Note: I am not selling/trading/giving away any of this yet... just asking if it is worth anything to anyone anymore.

A similar question came up recently on a more vintage tv/radio etc collect/repair oriented forum I frequent and the consensus was that it's not worth anything and there is only a very few that might be interested in the parts.

A friend at work just had a relative pass away, and he worked at an electronics repair shop in the 80's to the 2000's. While cleaning out his house, he found all the parts he stashed from when his shop closed. There are a lot of specialty chips such as horizontal deflection control, demodulators, chroma, etc... and they may be specific to a particular brand of TV.
Of course there are a bunch of caps and resistors (which I plan to keep) and generic IC's as well.
I'm slowly making a database of what I have, and will soon be looking to find a new home for this stuff.... or I'll turn it into jewelry or something if there is no one left that could use it.
Does anyone know if these types of components are of any use to anyone anymore? I'd hate to see them go to waste.
Note: I am not selling/trading/giving away any of this yet... just asking if it is worth anything to anyone anymore.

Pretty well worthless - the TV trade is all but defunct now, with most dealers and service departments closed down. When where I work closed we gave all the old parts and service manuals, test equipment, everything, away - to an old friend of mine. Basically my old friend is a hoarder :D and can't bear to see anything thrown away - and it wasn't just us, he's taken (for free) the entire contents of four or five different service departments - and has a vast collection of service manuals (mine that he had was pretty extensive, and there was also a large collection of old valves - ones with 5 pin bases, things like that). When I call at his premises it's like going home, draws still full of old components, all with my writing on, and piles of service manuals, also with my writing on them :D

While he's still trying to make a living repairing TV's etc. he's seriously struggling, and some weeks might earn nothing at all - but where I work now we're pretty busy (doing small scale manufacturing), so I approached him about sub-contracting for us. He's happy to do so (and his wife is even happier :D), and we're passing enough work to him every few weeks for him to be having a bumper year.

Funnily enough, a fair few years back now, a guy came in to where I used to work (service department for a TV shop) and asked if we (basically ME!) would like a load of electronic bits. He'd taken over an industrial unit, and it was partly full of what the previous owners had left - included a few hundred OTP PIC's in tubes, a load of other stuff, and a really nice old oscilloscope. Needless to say, I took it all :D - I gave the tubes of PIC's away to a member on here, and the old scope I gave to my friend mentioned above. Interestingly, he contacted the original manufacturers of the scope,and then donated it for display in their museum - they hadn't got one of that model.

So the gist is, not really worth anything - unless you can find some idiot who doesn't know that! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back