Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old oscilloscope X-input, Y-input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alek

Hi!. Today I've reincarnated an old "Osciloskop MA 4060" oscilloscope with vacum tubes. As far I can see I can tell that it is working, got a stable `dot`.

It has 2 inputs by N-female connectors one for X and one for Y. When I connect a signal (doesn't matter the type just to be AC) to X-Input which has for example 5Hz I see a dot that goes left and right 5 times a second. Same happens when I connect the signal to the Y-Input but the dot goes up and down.

My question is, how do I need to connect the signal so that I can see it in `real mode`. I mean if I connect a sine wave signal to it, I want actually to see the wave on it. I assume that I'm missing the time base or some time factor ...

Thanks in advance !

There should be a switch somewhere on the scope to select x-y or timebase mode. If you can't find it, post of pic of the scope, and I'll see if I can.

Egads! Guess I'm showing my age by answering!

Last edited:
There is no timebase mode ... nor a switch for modes :)

**broken link removed**

This is a picture found on the net. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it in a bigger resolution.

As far as I can remember there was no such thing... Will check it tomorrow and give it a closer look.

Anyhow, if it doesn't have that switch and its in x-y only mode, is there anything to be done with it ?

I hope there is ... I remember I twisted all the buttons on the rig ... all gave different results but none of them gave me the wave form on the screen :)

Post a clear picture of the front panel with the control markings, if you can.

I hope there is ... I remember I twisted all the buttons on the rig ... all gave different results but none of them gave me the wave form on the screen :)

It's possible that the function is selectable on the time base switch, but that switch is non-functional. That would explain why you didn't get the wave form.

I'll post some pics with better quality tomorrow and try to see if I can find a switch for changing modes and see if its operational.

I tried gurggling your scope model, but the only relavant result I got was our thread. HA!

There were many oscilloscopes made as X-Y scopes: the Tektronix 600-series of monitors is a good example, normally sold as OEM to companies incorporating the scopes as display devices in various machines, such as medical diagnostic equipment.

Unless you have an external sweep unit (rare units, such as the Tektronix RG501), you won't be able to inut a useful sweep to the device where you can trigger to have a stable waveform.

Dean

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I fixed it. One switch had a mode with the sign "/\/\/\" on it. On that mode, when there is no signal at the input I see a horizontal line not a dot. When I input a signal I can see its shape :))

I'll post some pics later so that you can see how big is the thing... and how old :))

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back