Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old European Synchronous Clocks at 50 Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalesr

I have an old European Electric Synchronous Motor Clock that is running at 110 Volts at 50 Hz with no earth ground or fuse. I have grounded this clock and fused it. However, this clock is running fast since it is running at 60 Hz and the clock movement was designed for 50 Hz. I am going to convert this clock to run at 16 volts AC to make it safer by creating a new coil with the appropriate turns to have this motor run at this voltage. I will then purchase an UL approved 16 volt AC power pack. I will still have the problem with the frequency since this clock is designed to run at 50Hz. I am looking for a way to make this 50 Hz clock useable at 60 Hz using my 16 volt AC Power pack as the power supply. I do not specialize in electronics and only have a digital volt meter and a variac. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

the division ratio of 60 by 50 Hz is exactly 1.2.

I purchased an 8-track player in the USA long ago and had the problem with the music being too slow. I just changed the belt transmission modifying the drive wheel by 1.2 of its original diameter.

The device worked well.

Boncuk

Replace its synchronous motor with a 60Hz one instead of changing its power supply. Any old clock can be the donor if you do not want to have it replaced at a clock repair shop.

The only way I can see to do this and maintain accuracy is to drive the clock with a H-Bridge that is switched from an accurate 50Hz oscillator. If you want it to lock to the 60Hz signal and maintain absolute accuracy over the day then you would need a PLL followed by a divider.

Do you have any technical information on the clock? Especially the synchronous motor.

Mike.

Replace its synchronous motor with a 60Hz one instead of changing its power supply. Any old clock can be the donor if you do not want to have it replaced at a clock repair shop.

Yes, by far the best solution.

Mike.

Of course the easiest way is to just replace the motor.

The only way I can see to do this and maintain accuracy is to drive the clock with a H-Bridge that is switched from an accurate 50Hz oscillator. If you want it to lock to the 60Hz signal and maintain absolute accuracy over the day then you would need a PLL followed by a divider.

Do you have any technical information on the clock? Especially the synchronous motor.

Mike.
Another way of doing this would be to convert the 60Hz into a square wave, filter the 5th harmonic to get 300Hz and divide by 6 to get 50Hz.

Mike,

I do not have literature on this motor. It consists of a coil rated at 220/50 Hz or 110/50Hz connected with an iron laminated core that has a pair of claws that drive a magnetised rotor. This rotor connects to the clock gear train which is based on 50 Hz. I am not certain how many poles but assumed it was a single phase two pole motor where the RPM is based on (f*60 /(n/2) where n is the number of poles. I would have a very hard time finding a new gear train that can run at 60 Hz. I like the solution of converting the 60Hz into a square wave, filter the 5th harmonic to get 300Hz and divide by 6 to get 50Hz. The input voltage to this circuit would be16 VAC/60 Hz and the output voltage that will feed the coil would be 16VAC/50Hz.

Will this output be a sinewave or square wave and does it make a difference for the coil? Is there a schematic that I can reference with this solution with the components/manufacturers required to build this? Do I need an oscilloscope to test this circuit to verify output is 16VAC/50Hz?

-Ray

Are you joking, Hero999? That seems like it would be absurdly difficult. A triac circuit, 300hz resonant transformer, 50hz resonant transformer... trying to get the correct voltages and filtering everything without overheating it all seems like it would be more complex than a wall-wart with a crystal controlled driver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back