Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oh come on... you can't do anything but Pong and Tetris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric_Rain

:lol: I think those different projects that use PICs for Pong and Tetris games and have composite out are cool, but is there any way I could do something ELSE? :lol: I have a few questions…

1.) Is there any other composite out PIC game projects out there?

2.) I need to learn about PIC (and other microcontrollers as well, but mostly PIC) programming... as of now I know nothing about it. I have seen all different types of codes and the only programming experience is with a *Fake* code called RPG code that my RPG creator uses. And I'm not THAT great with that... but I know a LITTLE bit. So anyway, what should I do/read/buy (Low budget remember...) to learn more about it?

3.) I need suggestions for games please. :)

4.) I want to make a game system that I can insert a PIC chip in and have it play the game that's on it that I made. Just like the old video game systems that used cartridges. The NES, SNES, N64, Atari... all of those. How should I make the base system so that it will be flexible enough to support all of the different games I program? Also, I need a way to insert the PICs (just like the old VG cartridges) that won't mess up when you bump it (takes out card edge connectors) or be too much ware and tear on the PIC or connector, (takes out a lot of strong connectors like just a simple IC socket). I also need to make it so that the PIC is not exposed too much when it's in the socket and running. I might make some of these for some friends also. Therefore, I want to make some kind of cover for the system that won't let you take the PIC out while the system is running.

So, if anyone can help with anything, the design of the system or anything about it, what to do to learn about PIC programming... ANYthing at all, I'd be very happy to hear it. Thanks,

Rain

P.S. I'm most interested in building the game system more than anything.

Little mistake here... I've posted three times under Electric_Rain... But I'm the same guy you all know... Electric Rain. (Sign-in problems... Just now noticed it.) :lol:

I know of a guy who did this with a graphical LCD he salvaged from a scientific calculator. I can't remember the URL, but i know i googled it when i came across it.

He used something like a PIC 18CXXX but yeah. If you google it you can find lots of links.

It might be worth looking at microprocessors like the Z80. These have their code stored in an external chip. Rather than replacing the entire processor-memory combination for each game you just replace the memory.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/03/ps0178.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/03/ps0130.pdf

The PIC system would probably be easier for a first project though. The socket for the PIC that you want is called a Zero Insertion Force socket. It has a little lever that opens up hole for the pins so you don't have to push at all. You probably should have 1 PIC dedicated to the video output and the replaceable PIC for the Games with an interface between the two. You'll need a lot of ram in the video PIC to handle storing each pixel.

As far as games go: there was an old game, called Scorch I think, where the players took turns fireing projectiles at one another. You set the angle and the force for the projectile to hit your opponent.

HOw about worms / liero? that would be cool

You could use a standard smart card with eeprom, the main pic would become a command interpreter... hey, ur giving me ideas now....

You could have a game compiler on computer, writes assembly to eeprom on smart card....

you would just need functions like pixel_set, button_test, logical operators, &c...

If it all worked out, you could make it "sim chip" style and make it into a wristwatch, sony or someone might produce it for you....

L8rZ
JB

Hey now... don't even THINK about stealing my idea... :x see... now I have to hurry up and get it copywrited. :lol: J/k, but still, don't steal my idea please. I shouldn't even post my ideas in these forums because someone's going to end up stealing one of them and probably making millions on it... But I need help with them, so I have to post them…

Anyway, thanks guys for your help, it's all very useful to me.

You helped me a lot though, bmcculla. I've heard of those sockets but I thought the levers tend to be difficult. I'll still strongly consider it thought. Thanks a lot for the idea to store the games on the ram chip too. Yes, using a PIC would be easier... but, I COULD use a PIC to store all of the video programming and then use a secondary removable one for the games. That would allow me to store much more on the game PIC and therefore create better games.

I'll be using all of the helpful info you guys just gave me and hopefully get this made soon. Thanks again everyone. :)

Rain

I have space invaders, It uses a GLCD and was written by the guys at Crownhill, UK. Using their Pic basic compiler.

:D

I've been looking at this recently myself I'd like to play with this, but the sites that I have found all deal with PAL and I need NTSC, I almost get the lines on the sdreen but there is a lot of scrolling, does anyone have a simple PIC program (Using NTSC) for displaying pictures on a tv? Once I get the hang of it I can take it from there.

Thanks

Ron

Keep in mind that the authors of picpong did go to the edge to get it to run on a pic. A pic isn't meant to do this , and as a result it's about the max you're going to get from it. pong requires almost no calculations for the game itself (just 2 peddles going up/down and a ball) so 99% of the time can go to image generation. I don't think much other games will run, and it's a inefiecent system to play games.

What you should be searching for is a fast CPU based system, with external ram, rom (removable), input and a dedicated video controller.

I'm not really looking to better the game, I just want to learn and play with the for a bit, I think what I really need to how long is a scan line for NTSC I didn't find too much info on this. I know that PAL is 52us but what about NTSC?

Ron

Altium has an example project that uses a FPGA with an Z80 and a video controller programmed into it to run old arcade games. It uses RGB output which is actualy easier to generate than color NTSC. It might be worth a look.

The video controller is much better suited to a FPGA than a processor. This would let the processor spend time on the game rather than emulating the graphics output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back