Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Officianl info for Philips RC5/6 and Sony SIRCS protocols

Status
Not open for further replies.

meliomelenios

So, after hours of search, i'm prety convinced that there is no official info (at least free) for the Philips RC5 RC6 IR remote control protocols. And i mean official papers, not unofficial pages. I need them as reference for something that i prepare.
Do you happen to have some sort of application note or specifications sheet or something else??? For ANY protocol, ANY IR protocol from ANY company. Most wanted are the Philips RC6 and the sony RIRCS

Philips are reasonably friendly, if you can wait an hour on hold then you might be able to get some info, Sony on the other hand are not as easy.
You could email a larger rv repair centre, a central repair centre rather than a corner tv shop.

Philips are reasonably friendly, if you can wait an hour on hold then you might be able to get some info, Sony on the other hand are not as easy.

As neither you, nor the OP, have your locations filled in I'm somewhat bemused by the idea of ringing Philips and getting any help :D

You could email a larger rv repair centre, a central repair centre rather than a corner tv shop.

Why would service facilities have information only available to OEM's?, as a Sony Service Agent I can guarantee you that Sony doesn't provide such information, and I'm pretty sure Philips don't either (what would be the point?).

There have been Philips datasheets covering the IC's they sold for RC5, which (if I recall correctly) did explain the protocol fairly reasonably, but I'm presuming the OP wants an official reference to quote in a report?, because there's more information on RC5 (and SIRC's) out on the Internet than you're likely to find in official documentation anyway.

I have done domestic repairs, philips supplied me with parts and schematics, sony didnt want to know, hence my comments (in the uk main dealer repair centres will also supply parts, or used to), philips also have sent me datasheets and sample devices for projects I've been involved with.

You answered my point in your own post, a datasheet for a remote or decoder ic often has protocol info, I presumed that this would have been sufficient for the op, rather than a specific datasheet just on the protocol, maybe I misunderstood that one.

I'm in the uk too, profile edited.

Last edited:
i wonder why they dont want to share this info... It is not space science... as a matter of fact, the RC6 protocol has been reversed-engineered 1.000.000 times... Anyway.... I was afraid that this info would not be available, but no problem, i have already reverse-engineer some philips remote controls... (which makes 1.000.001 times)

i wonder why they dont want to share this info... It is not space science... as a matter of fact, the RC6 protocol has been reversed-engineered 1.000.000 times... Anyway.... I was afraid that this info would not be available, but no problem, i have already reverse-engineer some philips remote controls... (which makes 1.000.001 times)

Are you just wanting to utilise the protocol, in which case you don't need any official data from Philips, all you need is already out there - no need to reverse engineer it yourself at all.

But RC6 is simply a slightly upgraded version of RC5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back