Obtaining 24V battery from 12V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need 24V 12AHr battery within weight limit of 6Kg. I tried to go for connecting two 12V lead acid batteries in series(of the 12AHr) but the weight limit is getting exceeded. I have Lithium Ion batteries of 12V 6AHr. So I am thinking of connecting two of them in parallel and this in series with another parallel combination. Is there any wrong in this? Also,Li-Ion batteries have much less weight.

But considering cost, they are not affordable to me. Is there any other option?

LiFe and LiIon are about equal on costs, NiMH is a lot less expensive, so I'm not sure what your statement of affordability means. If you can purchase 280 watt-hours of lithium-ion, you certainly can afford the same in NiMH, or close in LiFe.

Chose any two:
1. Inexpensive
2. Light weight
3. High capacity

See the motors for which I need battery consumes 9 T0 10A of current continuously at 24V. My battery should last for half an hour. So what AHr rating should I prefer? At the same time, the battery should be inexpensive and light weight.

well, that rules out lead acid... unless you get very expensive high-rate SLA batteries, most lead acid are rated for 10-20 hour discharge curves.

inexpensive and high capacity: NiCad or NiMH
lightweight and high capacity: LiFe or LiIon

make sure you are shopping for batteries rated at high rate discharge ... 10a run current probably means a lot more starting current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…