OBD CONNECTOR PINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dleligdon

Dose anyone have the pin identification for a OBD connector. In my "79" Chevy I could short out two pins to reset the engine trouble light' I would think the same is possible with a OBD connector. Either 12 volt from the connector or possibly 5 volt from a USB charger or ground a particular pin??

Thanks for any input, Dave

This is the type of question where giving your location might help. Your car (presumably) may have a data bus that cannot be reset using paper clips and baling wire.

But, you can go to an Autozone store and use their OBD/CAN scanner free to reset it.

John

I think the blinking lights with the bubble gum and paper clips went out of favor. There is way too many codes to "blink".

generally history codes won;t clear. Disconnecting the ECM fuse will generally clear trouble codes, BUT you CANNOT go across the street and immediately get your car inspected.

There is this magic thing called a "Driving Cycle" that has to be executed. One part of that driving cycle is likely constant cruising speed for a while. It also has to see the warm-up process before the emission bit is valid.

When you reset when pulling the power, the car has to also re-learn it's tweaks. Some codes will reset on their own, f they are say not seen in 3 driving cycles, but they stay in history.

You could buy a bluetooth connector and do it yourself. Not bad for US$5.
**broken link removed**

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…