Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NXP LPC2000 series board - ARM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea how to flash the chip. The board has no serial port, so I can't use the bootloader.
Sorry... the serial pins are not available anywhere?

We actually don't bother with the JTAG port for most of our designs since our simulators do so well.

Sorry... the serial pins are not available anywhere?
It's entirely possible that they're pinned out to one of the fan control outputs or temp sense inputs or... just about anything on the board. I have no schematic. I could try to trace with meter, but that often doesn't work so well in circuit. If they're hooked to fan outs then the driver transistors are going to mess up things for serial use anyway.

Anyway I have JTAG now, so no problem. :p

Now I have to spend another evening or two (or six :D) studying datasheet and user guide and all the other nice info to get this thing blinking some LEDs (the MCU's "Hello World" :p).
Haha! Only an hour or so. The LEDs, they blink! :D

Takes lots of reading through the User Manual to figure out lots of control registers for PLL and MAM and such. These are complex beasts compared to most PICs.

She's running at 60MHz off a 12MHz crystal.

Last edited:

Takes lots of reading through the User Manual to figure out lots of control registers for PLL and MAM and such. These are complex beasts compared to most PICs.

It lives, it lives. You the man. This has been better then watching reality TV shows. Will FUTZing around uncover the serial data traces...watch the next exciting episode of AS THE BIT FLIPS ;)

Lefty

It's entirely possible that they're pinned out to one of the fan control outputs or temp sense inputs or... just about anything on the board. I have no schematic. I could try to trace with meter, but that often doesn't work so well in circuit. If they're hooked to fan outs then the driver transistors are going to mess up things for serial use anyway.

Anyway I have JTAG now, so no problem. :p

Well you're going to have to figure them out, at least somewhat, that is if you want to use the board. :p

Mind you, that nice one should be showing up any day now....

Last edited:
Well you're going to have to figure them out, at least somewhat, that is if you want to use the board. :p
I'm going thru it now. I have the LED bits figured out (P0.15, 16 and 22). Going to connect a few fans next and see which bits control those. Then the temp sense pins and MOSFETs to find...

EDIT: I have all connections figured out except the ICP. If the serial pins aren't on the ICP then they aren't pinned out at all. Found a 2K-bit I2C EEPROM on board too, and figured out which I2C it's wired to. Bonus!

Mind you, that nice one should be showing up any day now....
I expect it late next week. :p They ship flat-rate expedited parcel, so it's not super speedy. They can ship other ways, but the prices are ridiculous.

Last edited:

Congrats!

Well the guts of the chip I could have helped you with! I can sit down and hand code assy on those things :)

They are complex, very detail control over just about every detail. Like the dual 16550 UARTs with dedicated baud rate dividers, or the RTC with full leap year support and alarm interrupts you can set years in advance, not to mention the two timers that each have 4 individually configurable capture registers.

And the fact that if it is running wide open you are talking about a 32bit data/instruction bus running at 60MHz and the SSP port that has 8 8 byte buffers, as I recall.

Well then, why didn't you? :D
not paying enough attention to the micros board and what I did see when it had not scrolled off the first page, did not seem like the questioning of those points had been reached yet.

Of course, I tend to be blind to anything but straight forward statements and questions... unfortunately.

Congrats!
Thank you. :p But I have LOTS to learn still...

Well the guts of the chip I could have helped you with!
I would never ask unless I got very, very stumped with something. Figuring it all out is ALL the fun for me.

And the fact that if it is running wide open you are talking about a 32bit data/instruction bus running at 60MHz
So true. With the Memory Accelerator Module working to keep that pipeline full these chips will definitely rattle through code very very quickly. :D

I would never ask unless I got very, very stumped with something. Figuring it all out is ALL the fun for me.
well do feel free, but give me a heads up PM
So true. With the Memory Accelerator Module working to keep that pipeline full these chips will definitely rattle through code very very quickly. :D
Very true. I have an associate who is a Russian transplant and had a heck of a time explaining just how much performance these things have compared to the 8051s he was used to working around the limitations of. I think even my boss got surprized once he got into themit since I have been occupied on a problem project for a couple of unexpected months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back