Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Now what can I do with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I acquired a scrap lcd tv a while ago, and duly dismantled it. Taking the screen apart was interesting. I now have a good sized piece of clear acrylic (or something) 0.5 inches thick, with a close grid of lines etched on one side, very flat and smooth.

Any interesting suggestions what I can make with it?

Ta :)

Cool idea, but both of these are hollow! I guess the solid acrylic slab would be a lot more sturdy. But it's got all those lines engraved on it! Hmmm, maybe not an infinity mirror then, but something else that can exploit it's optical design.
I shall file this under "food for thought" :)
I had been thinking in terms of constructional materials, so it's good to have something else pointed towards...
Thanks!

A lot of years ago, either here or on the Nuts and Volts forum, a member was making a table. It had IR emitters & a lot of detectors that would light up LEDs around anything that was moved over the table or set down. The diffused LEDs were different colors and were placed randomly so it didn't look like rows & columns. Very nice interactive effect.

It was a long project thread with video as it progressed. I have searched a few times and haven't been able to find it.

This one is similar.

Last edited:
Oh, wow!
That looks like an idea I'd like to do something with!
I wonder how well I can control light going to the little engraved squares?
I have a ton of old stuff in my shed I need to strip down and a mountain to tidy away and another project to finish before I start anything ambitious like this. I'll have to see what I can do with just a few LED's for now.
Thanks for the inspiration CCK!

A lot of years ago, either here or on the Nuts and Volts forum, a member was making a table. It had IR emitters & a lot of detectors that would light up LEDs around anything that was moved over the table or set down. The diffused LEDs were different colors and were placed randomly so it didn't look like rows & columns. Very nice interactive effect.

So tempting to make just to see what the kitties would do with it! :woot:

Oh, wow!
That looks like an idea I'd like to do something with!
I wonder how well I can control light going to the little engraved squares?
I have a ton of old stuff in my shed I need to strip down and a mountain to tidy away and another project to finish before I start anything ambitious like this. I'll have to see what I can do with just a few LED's for now.
Thanks for the inspiration CCK!
Do you have a picture of the little engraved squares? How big are they and how deep etc. If I could see it then I might have an idea for you ;).

Actually I might have a really awesome idea! But I need a picture of the squares.

Sorry it took a while. Been busy. I reckon each frosty bit is about 1mm across and maybe 0.5mm deep at the most. The wire cutters are to gauge the size of the whole panel. Now I look at it again I'm not sure if they are raised up or etched in. The whole thing is about 11 or 12mm thick (I guess, haven't rmeasured).
(edit) I'm not sure if the pattern you can seen in the first two pictures is a reflection or a moire pattern. Definitely not the little squares anyway!
. IMG_2177.jpg IMG_2178.jpg IMG_2179.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm not what I had in mind. SMD RGB leds are cheap from alibaba, so maybe each square a smd led (yeah would still cost alot). But you could then have a games board, chess or back gammon or whatever, just change the layout by changing the leds that are on or the colour......

Its one of those things that look useful, but hard to decide what use to do with it. I have an old laptop I might take the screen apart and play with it.

Not so much the quantity of LED's but the sheer amount of very small soldering, I baulk at!
I'll have a more think about it when I've cleared the shed.
I'm finally putting together the psu I started 3 years ago, including making a chassis, case, rear-front panel, and of course the actual front panel, so I'm caught up in wiring and metal-bashing at the moment, meanwhiile the accumulated junk, errr I mean resources in the shed is getting shoved around and turned into more and more chaotic and in-the-way heaps. But since I'm having the Big Push to get this thing finished (and I still haven't been able to test it's auto-parallel function due to increasing flakiness of test builds). I keep finding mistakes in my design, like having left far too much space for the front heatsinks - left over legacy for when I guessed the size and forgot to change it to the real one, and like finding that the upper level of it's 2 overlapping level chassis blocks access to 1 of it's presets. And making the bottom deck of the chassis 10mm too short. Annoying as fnork. This is what comes of designing stuff whilst watching TV and having never ending interruptions...

Thats why they invented sheds!

I also want to make a better sheet metal bender (a benchtop press-brake) than the one I made a couple of years ago that isn't very good. I started making a drilling machine years ago which also went by the wayside. It needs a motor (and mounting) with suitable pulleys and belt, and some kind of sleeve for the quill to slide up and down (at the moment it goes through two bits of board with holes in them which are slightly too big). It's made out of bits of wood and steel racking. (with pvc pipe as the quill) I was a bit optimistic about its size and capacity when I started - needs scaling down!

I started making a drilling machine years ago which also went by the wayside. It needs a motor (and mounting)
Go careful with the 'mounting' wouldnt want 'things' caught up in a motor!

Reminds me of a guy who wants his dead dog stuffed, a week later his cat dies. The guy takes both to the taxidermist, the taxidermist goes through the options, and at the end he asks the guy if he wants them mounted. The guy looks at the taxidermist and says, nah shaking paws will do :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back