Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

not sure what battery combination to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfamily1st

I have a solenoid valve that reqires 24vDC .375amps and 9 watts to function.

Does anyone know how what type of battery combination I need to get this valve to work ? Does anyone know if there is a transformer type thing I can use to wire it so I can use it with 110 AC. I am not sure if these are the minimum values for this valve to run properly and what the maximium would be.

Thanks
Steve

Two 12v batteries in series will do the trick.

You cannot operate a solenoid, relay, contactor, etc. marked for "DC" with an AC voltage. AC devices of these kinds have laminated cores while the DC versions do not. The DC coil will have eddy currents all over the place, heat up and use excessive current when operated on AC. In addition, without a shading coil that the AC versions would have, the solenoid could very likely chatter during use.

If you don't want to use batteries, you could use a DC power supply, such as the +12 v output of an old computer supply. Just remember that the pull-in current of a solenoid is momentarily higher than the holding current, just like starting current of a motor is higher than the running current.

Dean

You'd need a wall transformer rated at 24VDC and 375 mA output.
I'd think you would be able to get away with using 3 9V's in series. Thats what I did for my potato gun, but I would just apply the voltage for a short period of time to fire the gun.
If go over the voltage for a short period of time it would probably be ok.

What exactly are you using it for?

Name-brand 9V alkaline batteries won't quite do the trick:

Attachments

• 9v_batt.gif
    9v_batt.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 323
Go to a thrift store like amvets or goodwill or somethin and find some appliance that has a 24VDC wall transformer that says it supplies 375ma or above and youll be set!

and make sure is says 24VDC otherwise itll be AC, which as Dean expained, will not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back