Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Norton Equivalent Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

callumirvine

Hi, can anyone help me with this question?

Using DC circuit theorms determine the Norton Equivalent circuit for the two terminal network shown.

Give the value of the constant current source and its parallel resistor.

-----------o----|R3|-----o
| |
R1 |
| R2
V1 |
| |
|--------- o----------------o

R1 = 2 ohms
R2=10 ohms
R3= 2 ohms
V=6v

Albeit badly drawn and I cannot make any sense of it, what you have is a Thevenin circuit. The current will be derived from shorting the output of the circuit. Its equivalent impedance looking in will be the equivalent resistance with the current source removed.

Remember, Thevenin voltage sources have zero impedance/resistance (short circuit), Norton current sources have infinite impedance/resistance (open circuit). This refers to the actual voltage/current source and NOT the circuit.

Hi, can anyone help me with this question?

Using DC circuit theorms determine the Norton Equivalent circuit for the two terminal network shown.

Give the value of the constant current source and its parallel resistor.

| |
R1 |
| R2
V1 |
| |

R1 = 2 ohms
R2=10 ohms
R3= 2 ohms
V=6v

Try putting the diagram in code tags, to keep the spacing:

Code:
         |          |
        R1          |
         |          R2
        V1          |
         |          |

Last edited:
So based on the circuit by DerStrom8 you have a voltage source (remember without any load whatsoever) of V1 * R2/(R1+R2) and an internal resistance (remember a voltage source has zero impedance so short it out for analysis) or R3 + R1//R2.
R3 doesn't come into the voltage calculation as a Thevenin analysis requires you are drawing no current so there is no voltage drop across R3.

You can convert this to a Norton by shorting the output giving a current source of V1/(R1+(R2//R3)) and the rest I am sure you can work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back