Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

'Normal' fuses, and fuses for electronic devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ring system , and fused plugs, means you don't need individual circuits for each socket, and because each ring is fed via two pieces of 2.5mm cable it's effectively 5.0mm wiring - yet uses much less cable (and copper) than radial wiring.
Just had to look it up, vary interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_circuit
But as they point out it has a dangerous fault mode.

Last edited:
Just had to look it up, vary interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_circuit
But as they point out it has a dangerous fault mode.
The fault modes stated on that page are mainly to do with using spurs which is frowned upon in the UK (may even be disallowed). The "loose connection" fault is an installation error and, as noted on that page, would result in a fire in a spur system.

In Australia, where I now live, they use the spur system and electrical fires seem far more frequent here than the UK.

Edit, one advantage of the ring system is that it's almost impossible to loose the earth connection. Not as important now but before ELCBs, very important. Especially at 230V rather than the finger tingling 110V.;)

Mike.

The fault modes stated on that page are mainly to do with using spurs which is frowned upon in the UK
The fault mode I was referring to had to do with a bad connection in the ring.
You mite not know the ring is broken but it could overload the wires.

The fault mode I was referring to had to do with a bad connection in the ring.
You mite not know the ring is broken but it could overload the wires.
I know, but reduced wire life is preferable to immediate fire risk.
Mike.
Ring.png

I know, but reduced wire life is preferable to.
What is the immediate fire risk you are talking of?
If a wire breaks in a spur system any down stream outlets would not get power not burst into flames.

I was just quoting the article you linked to! Did you not see the attached photo?

Mike.

Sorry now I see what you are referring to;
  • Radials with a loose connection will overheat severely and be an immediate fire risk.
I think this failure mode would be the same in both systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back