Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"NOP" Fault Finding Technique in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western

I have a question about a fault finding technique I learned sometime last century … about making a micro run continuous “nop” instructions (using 8085 and Z80 etc).

I have a board that uses a separate micro, SRAM and a flash memory chip - that I’m trying to fault find.

Have replaced the flash chip and SRAM to no avail … yet that chip works fine on another board.

(The board displays the same symptons I see when it has a crook flash ... but in this case, a new flash didn't solve it)

At the moment, all I can recall to do is to check DC levels, clock signals … then what?

I’d often thought about using the nop technique but never did because of the effort needed to remove and swap around large smd chips. Now that I have a decent hot air desoldering tool … it feels more doable.

The micro is a H8S/2350. How hard (or worthwhile) would it be to write a routine to load on flash and check the result?

... and if worthwhile ... how does one go about doing that.

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back