Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

<--noob :) Need help with a Voltmeter/VU Bargraph Lcd display idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derick2k

Hi All,

Total noob to lcd displays, pic, uC programming.

I want to be able to monitor/measure 5 dc voltage points that share a
common ground; measure temperature inside of a case ( the DS18S20
Temperature Sensor would be a good choice for this I think) and display
a vu bargraph for l/r channels through a 20x4 character blue backlit LCD
display, attached is an image of the readout layout I'm looking for more
or less.

**broken link removed**

I want to build this circuit to integrate it into an vacuum tube amplifier I
have, where its critical to measure and adjust voltages correctly. So I would
like the the voltage measurements to be as accurate as possible. The
temperature sensor is to keep an eye on the inside case temps. The VU
meter/bargraph I thought to put in there just as eyecandy to the display,
since it iwll be install in an amp :)

The 20x4 is the simplest display I could think of using since its character lcd
display; i would have liked to use a graphic lcd but figured it would be more
difficult to program. I have also attached an earlier graphic lcd display idea I
had, with the required voltage ranges/scale.

**broken link removed**

I was thinking of using a pic like Microchip's PIC18F4550 40 pin DIP which
offers 13 ADC inputs which should be more that enough for all measurement
points required. I am limited to a budget of $200-250.00 for this project.

I was thinking of getting the easypic5 dev board, and probably proton ide, proteus vsm??

Any help, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

From one noob to another. You just bit off a big bite!
I just ordered the junebug pic programmer and tut from blueroomelectronics.com (Actual from him off ebay, there is a link on his site.)
He is a member of this site. His products are at a good price compared to others and from what i've seen on this site he knows his stuff. Also the people who bought his products have had good things to say about the quality of his product and his tuts.

Also look for any post from Nigel Goodwin, should be easy to find, his sig has a link to his tuts.

Sorry I don't have any real answers (I am a noob after all), but I figured since nobody had replied I might still be able to point you in the right direction. Also check out the microprocessor section of the forum. That will be a better place for you to get some answers as to which pic to choose. I think a 40 pin might be a bit much for what you want.

Hosh,

Thanks for the reply, I know its alot to begin with being that I am new to this. I have been able to find circuits, and some code for pretty much all that I want to do, I just have to bring it all together. I will check out your suggestions.

Before spending money on hardware I was considering getting IDE software like MPlabs or Proton, Isis, and some compilers, maybe swordfish basic?! since its structured, and basic seems to be the easiest programming language to learn. I figured this way I could design the circuit, write the code, and run the simulation to test it all out before actually investing $$ on any particular components, and I can always use the software to aid in future designs.

Any comments, suggestions are welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back