Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

non-polarized cap insted of polarized one

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupeR-NovA

can i replace the capacitors for non-polarized ones?

Attachments

• reg_517.jpg
    reg_517.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 473
thank you
another question about capacitors... which type is should i use for a crystal at 20Mhz? (the crystal says 18pF but does not specify the type)

SupeR-NovA said:
thank you
another question about capacitors... which type is should i use for a crystal at 20Mhz? (the crystal says 18pF but does not specify the type)
Ceramic will work. I generally use that.

kinjalgp said:
SupeR-NovA said:
thank you
Ceramic will work. I generally use that.

Yes, I use ceramic as well - basically they are nice and small and easily available. The actual values don't seem very critical, but you should keep them both the same - I've used from 10pF to 33pF (whichever I find first) and never noticed any difference!.

Capacitors

Ceramic will work fine. If you are concerned about frequency stability of the crystal oscillator, you should use NPO. A lot that I have seen and used have a black stripe or bar on them. The NPO means negative, positive=zero. What I am trying to say in so many words is that ceramic capacitors have a temperatur coeficient, that is to say unless they are NPO the capacitance will vary with temperature, and as a result the crystal will vary with temperature. But with the NPO the crystal frequency will remain constant with temperature changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back