Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-dimmable LED lightbulbs are damaged by Triac dimmers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope it doesn´t look like this, that would not be very good ;)
It is real good. I needed to explain that is measured on the output of the full wave rectifier. On the input side it is a sigh wave. What you see is a sign wave folded back on its self by rectification. I probably also needed to explain the high frequency noise is removed by filters.

Actually I was trying to point out the difference between sign and sine functions.

I think you are too late to the party on all aspects. I spent some time in a Turkish home building center today and had a good look at what they have here for off the shelf lighting.

All of the LED lighting systems I could find were universal 100 - 240 VAC 50/60 hz input and a surprising number of the CFL's were too which to be honest I have never seen before. I may have buy one of the universal voltage CFL's to take home and dissect before we leave in a few weeks. Maybe one of those universal dimer units too. :cool:

Regarding the dimmable stuff they had a display board with one dimmer that ran a dimmable LED, dimmable CFL and a 40 watt incandescent all at the same time with a very uniform proportional dimming between all three bulbs.

The dimmable 10 watt LED ran 19 tl (~$10 US dollars), the dimmable 13 watt CFL was 17 tl (~$8.50 US dollars) and the 40 watt incandescent was 1 tl (~50 US cents).

The dimmer that ran all three I think was either 28 tl or 38 tl (~ $14 or $19 US dollars).

BTW I have been paying attention to what gets used here and to be honest finding anything lit that is not LED, CFL or induction based is really hard. All of the stores are fluorescent CFL or LED and the newer street and public lighting is either big induction tube lighting or large LED panels systems and believe me they are not conservative ont tossing some lumens around here at night! Especially with the big colored LED lighting systems. :cool:

We flew into Ankara last week and I could see all these odd super bright green, red, blue and white spots of light even while we were a mile plus up. Once we got on the ground and got going on the public transit bus I able to see what all the odd super bright colored lights were for.

Along the streets and inside the public parks they do a huge amount of accent lighting on the trees, plants, stone work buildings and most anything else they feel like with the high powered colored lights. Very impressive to say the least! In the daytime they don't look like anything at all. Just a dull looking panel about 1 foot square and and inch or two thick and thats it. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back