Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

No 16-bit references for 16-bit ADCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I was looking at some voltage references for ADCs (at Maxim) and I was wondering something...

There are 16-bit ADCs (avtually, 18-bit ADCsbut are accurate to 16-bits), but the most accurate and stable voltage reference I could find was nowhere near 16-bits. It's variation over temperature was great enough that it would only be noticed by a 12-it ADC or less.

So what is the point of a 16-bit ADC if you can only get a voltage reference that is accurate to 12-bits?

So what is the point of a 16-bit ADC if you can only get a voltage reference that is accurate to 12-bits?
I guess if you were digitizing a waveform with a period much shorter (Such as audio) than the period of ambiant temperature variation.

dknguyen said:
I was looking at some voltage references for ADCs (at Maxim) and I was wondering something...

There are 16-bit ADCs (avtually, 18-bit ADCsbut are accurate to 16-bits), but the most accurate and stable voltage reference I could find was nowhere near 16-bits. It's variation over temperature was great enough that it would only be noticed by a 12-it ADC or less.

Take a look at National LM399 or analog devices. There most certainly are references available to support a true 16 bit system. You won't find them at cheap manufacturers like Maxim.

What do you mean by trim? Aren't they trimmed in the factory? And I thought trimming only affects accuracy, not stability?

dknguyen said:
What do you mean by trim? Aren't they trimmed in the factory? And I thought trimming only affects accuracy, not stability?

I think he is referring to "calibrated" within your system.

Sometimes "trimming" (like factory) can affect stability. Take for example, 4 wire precision resistors. Temperature stability can be affected if they are not appropriately trimmed in a balanced fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back