Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

night storage heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have night storage heater. Dimplex xl24.

There is a ceramic part connected between Neutral and Phase. I cannot read the writing on it, It is old one.
What is it, what is the reason to have it, Is it a capacitor.

Your answer would be highly appreciated.

I can't see any reason for a resistive heating element to require a capacitor in circuit. Controls are by thermostatic bimetal strips.

Is there any possibility to produce sparks betwen bimetal strip gap. Therefore capacitor can be connected between phase and neutral To avoid this spark. Is it true.

mahinda jayasinghe said:
Is there any possibility to produce sparks betwen bimetal strip gap. Therefore capacitor can be connected between phase and neutral To avoid this spark. Is it true.

It would be connected across the contacts to do that.

Can you post a picture of the device?.

Heater control ?

Is this device close to the thermostat (but above it) ?

I used to have electric storage heaters and one of them had a tangential fan so it could warm a room fast. It had a ceramic high wattage resistor across the mains, I assumed it was to increase the air flow past the thermostat and so improve its response speed through convection currents.

I think the resistor was about 1k ? (it was about 15 years ago ...)

This is the device connted, please see the photo.

Attachments

• 106_0643.jpg
    106_0643.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 472
  • 106_0643.jpg
    106_0643.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 460
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back