Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

nid help about amplifier efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavitz19

:confused: pls help me, i really nid the formula for amplifier efficiency...how can i apply it on complex circuit design like 1000watt power amplifiers?

nid your help badly, pls reply soon...tnx

If you are building the amp with discreet components ie bjts then the efficiency depends on the type of amp. class A class B or class AB etc. Theoratically class A has a efficiecy of around 55% and class B around 75% if I remember correctly. class AB is somewhere in between.
If you go for power ICs then you will have to refer to their datasheets.
Of course practically efficiencies will drop below what i mentioned above. hope this helps..:)

lavitz19 said:
:confused: pls help me, i really nid the formula for amplifier efficiency...how can i apply it on complex circuit design like 1000watt power amplifiers?

nid your help badly, pls reply soon...tnx

If you want an intelligent response, try giving some details about your amp!!

What class is it? Class A is 25% max, B is pi/4 max. etc. etc. etc.

Next, most of this information is easily accessible via google, so try that before posting here.

The efficiency also depends on the output level of the amplifier. It isn't at full power all the time, its average power output is probably 1/10th of its max when it is playing music at its loudest without clipping the peaks.
Of course, when it is sitting without an input then its efficiency is zero so its duty-cycle must also be included in an efficiency calculation..

lavitz19 said:
[latex] Efficiency = \frac{Power_{PSU}}{Power_{OUT}}[/latex]

Works with any amplifier but you need to build it or at least simulate it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back