Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newsletter overlay

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
This is incredibly obnoxious. Can we get rid of this please? I've said "No Thanks" several times and yet it still keeps popping up.

obnoxious.png

Never seen it up to now.

When I see those I just use Esc key.

:Assumptive:
Some adverts have an response to understand when the No thanks is used that that is an person not a Bot, or some similar algorithm type behavior and then just keeps re displaying randomly or orderly at each page load.

dmiyares I just got this again today, TWICE! It's downright obnoxious.

I installed Adblock Plus on both Chrome and Firefox. Got rid of all that rubbish once and for all.

.... Have recently began to grab for a dart (the thrown at circular board type) as the join out newsletter has increased its announcement, thus to the eventual outright agreeing with this being annoying.

Last edited:
I installed Adblock Plus on both Chrome and Firefox. Got rid of all that rubbish once and for all.
I have ABP installed and enabled it for ETO (I don't usually block ads here as they are usually not obtrusive) but the overlay still keeps appearing. Might have to dig in and update the options in ABP.

Annoying ETO blurb.png

This random advertisement on ETO is of very poor taste. It is obnoxious. It like the telephone soliciter you can;t get rid of.

Who the [self expletive Deleted] are they? Who do they think they are? "President Tonald Trump!!!"

The adv suggests that this is ETO which really makes ETO look really bad.

Next step will be to start contacting the owners of ETO : **broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 106533

This random advertisement on ETO is of very poor taste. It is obnoxious. It like the telephone soliciter you can;t get rid of.

Who the [self expletive Deleted] are they? Who do they think they are? "President Tonald Trump!!!"

The adv suggests that this is ETO which really makes ETO look really bad.

Next step will be to start contacting the owners of ETO : **broken link removed**

I think your red text should be bold. ;)

I thought tagging the owners in this thread would have gotten their attention, but apparently not.

dmiyares Aimee Kalnoskas

I think it is bold. In any event, I picked a contact that looked close and emailed them directly. I tried to figure out just what the add is and I can't. I think there is a way to complain about ads if they come from Google Adsense.

It's execution is SPAMish. That's my first order complaint. The second order one, which I didn't address is that it's obnoxious.
With most of the ads, you can generally log in and it''s not in your face. This thing pops ups when your actually trying to log in.

I don't mind the little one liners, but get out of my face when I'm trying to log in and don;t play "Ring the doorbell and run".
It's as bad as the old telephone thing you may have done as a kid: Call someone.
ask "Is your refrigerator running?" - Then say go catch it. or "Do you have Price Albert in a can"? Then let him out.

In the ring the doorbell scenario, it was usually small kids. The development was loaded with them when I was a kid. That was the job for the water balloons and the hose when they rang the bell. Maybe that;s what I need to do with the grown-ups? Hit them with water ballons, but post a notice first.

e.g. Solicitors are subject to being perceived as targets for water balloons or struck from water from a hose.

Then let's make it PIR sensitive and say it's to keep away the birds.

I think it is bold. In any event, I picked a contact that looked close and emailed them directly. I tried to figure out just what the add is and I can't. I think there is a way to complain about ads if they come from Google Adsense.

It's execution is SPAMish. That's my first order complaint. The second order one, which I didn't address is that it's obnoxious.
With most of the ads, you can generally log in and it''s not in your face. This thing pops ups when your actually trying to log in.

I don't mind the little one liners, but get out of my face when I'm trying to log in and don;t play "Ring the doorbell and run".
It's as bad as the old telephone thing you may have done as a kid: Call someone.
ask "Is your refrigerator running?" - Then say go catch it. or "Do you have Price Albert in a can"? Then let him out.

In the ring the doorbell scenario, it was usually small kids. The development was loaded with them when I was a kid. That was the job for the water balloons and the hose when they rang the bell. Maybe that;s what I need to do with the grown-ups? Hit them with water ballons, but post a notice first.

e.g. Solicitors are subject to being perceived as targets for water balloons or struck from water from a hose.

Then let's make it PIR sensitive and say it's to keep away the birds.
It wasn't bold, I just changed it to make sure. If you don't like it let me know and I'll change it back, or you can if you'd prefer :p

hi,
Place your cursor on the small blue section, any thing pop up.??
E
A001.gif

That's probably the "hidden" control panel access.

The "newsletter' then looks like they are advertising themselves deceptively. https://sumo.com/ That's a red flag.

from their website: https://sumo.com/:

The Most Effective Email Capture
Pop-ups don’t have to suck. Especially when they’re this good. With List Builder, you create beautiful pop-ups that appear on clicks, timers and before people leave.

The Best First Impression
The secret weapon of 100,000 websites, Welcome Mat builds followers before a visitor even hits your page. It’s the next level of landing pages.

The Polite Way To Get Signups
Want a pop-up that doesn’t appear in the middle of your screen? Scroll Box creates a polite but powerful way to ask.

The Clever Reminder
Don’t let your offers get lost again. Smart Bar stays glued to the top of your page, moving through the page with your visitors.

And the un-named newletter blurb is there.

So, many of us at ETO think it sucks.

ericgibbs

I excluded media.sumo.com,, not sumo.com, so it's not blocked. So far, so good. But it takes a while before another pop-up appears.

The next real step is to report them as a deceptive site via Firefox's reporting mechanism. The reason why it's deceptive is that the same newsletter thing exists on ETO as it does on sumo.com. I won't randomly click on such non-sense.

The way to make it work better is "Click for a newsletter sample"

Nice detective work from all especially eric. Thank you.

Hopefully ETO will respond. Reporting ETO as a deceptive site would surely get their attention.

Last edited:
That Sumo Crap is coded right into the html that defines the page "Copyright ©2017 WTWH Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back