Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie's Point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZdave

As I am learning how to drive a µC I would like to relate my experience to learning how to drive a car.

First I'd like to thank the experienced folks for their inputs to questions asked on this forum. I have learned quite a bit (no pun intended) from reading your replies.

I've heard of the automoble (µC) and hear that it is fun to drive (program). I studied the drivers manual (datasheets) and understand the theory so 'thought' I was ready to drive. I sat down in the drivers seat (started the assembler program) only to find out that I hadn't been told about the key and how to start the car (how/where to start the program). So I got out of behind the driver's seat and walked down to keysmith (Nigel's Tutorials) and learned about the how to start my car. Although I understand the theory of driving (instruction set) and see how to start it I am left with many questions.

1. If the code file is simply a text document can I use any text editor or do I need to use something like MPLAB IDE or Nigel's WinPicProg?

2. The '__CONFIG' line is different from example code to example code. What should, or needs, to be included in this line of code?

3. Where can I find a list of the second and successive code words e.g. bsf STATUS, RP0 so I'll know what they are and what to put behind the opcode (i.e. bsf)?

BTW, I am medically retired and live with a very small budget so most books are priced out of my reach. If anyone knows of any free to read e-book(s) I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks, Dave

AZdave said:
BTW, I am medically retired and live with a very small budget so most books are priced out of my reach. If anyone knows of any free to read e-book(s) I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks, Dave

**broken link removed**
Guide to use the PIC
**broken link removed**

PIC16F84 Fundamentals

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
PickNPoke and PickNPrac was my altime favorites, try to find it !

Good luck

STEVE

Thanks Steve I do appreciate the help!

1 Yes you can use any text editor..
2 what chip are you programming? If you are using the 628A and dont need the comparaters you can turn them off, for example..

WilliB,

As I am retired and have lost intrest in watching the grass grow I have decided to build a 'full blown' weather center.

I am using the 16F877A. I will have 2 analog inputs using AN0/AN1, 10 logic inputs (checking reed switches - open/closed) using RB0:RB7 and RE1:RE2 and one digital input (coming from a 555 chip) using RE0. Once the data is collected I need to send it via the USART to a 16F88 (I hope to make this data xfer wireless). The 16F88 will have 2 additional logic inputs, process all the data, format it and send it SSP (serial) to a graphic LCD screen.

This may sound like a big undertaking for a newbie but I have plenty of time on my hands. I have 18 years experience talking to computers and large networks but this is my first exposure to µC's. I have been doing µC's now for nearly 18 days :D, and am trying to learn how to speak µC.

Thanks for your help,

woah.. sounds like a read big project..

anyway.. i'm a newbie too! but i'm not retired.. Uni student needing to learn this for a project!

wanted to ask if anyone can point me to some helpful webpages on PIC programming in C?

Thanks!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back