Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie HELP w/soldering!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcaren

Have never touched electronics before (unless you count computer repair). I want to add voice message capability to a Palm PDA. I got the instructions online, but this requires soldering wires from a mic to the unit's multiconnector pins -- they look very small. I was told I'd need a soldering pin, wire wrap, and rosin core solder. I don't necessarily think this is difficult soldering for people who do this a lot, but I never have and don't know where to start. I've already emailed the person who provided the instructions several times for information but don't want to nag him to death requesting details, so was hoping I could nag y'all.

In the hopes that I can keep costs down (otherwise I'd just buy another pda w/voice capability), could you please make some recommendations for supplies?

1. What kind of soldering pen?
2. Do I need a wire wrap tool?
3. Any generic tips for someone who's never done this before? Any practice tips (little projects to give me some skills before I risk killing a $300 pda?)
4. Good source for materials?

Thanks very much. Monica :?:

Make sure your Palm does not already have a mic, some of them do (mine does). Does this person have the code for the Palm or are you going to write it?

You are probably in need of wire wrap wire, not the took, just to make the connections to the mic.

Just get a JBC soldering pencil, solder and thin wire, mic. That will not run $300.

If you are in canada, you can visit Sayal Electronics (or online at sayal.com).

Thanks for the info...

Thanks for your replies. This is a Palm TX (defin. no mic); someone has graciously offered to share files from another model (tested and it worked) -- that I was told I need to load w/a memory card.
I was told I needed wire wrap to connect the mic to the multiconnector pins -- I just didn't know how to apply it (kept seeing references to "wire wrap tools" and didn't know if I needed one).
Didn't realize there would be so many soldering options -- when a "soldering pen" was mentioned, were they likely referring to a "soldering station" or a "soldering iron"?
Monica

Hi
A solder pencil is usually just a smaller thinner version of a soldering iron. A soldering gun is bigger still, and generally unsuitable for electronics work. Sometimes the term "soldering iron" is used interchangeably with any of the above three tools. Soldering pencils are usually the best to use for electronics as they are more precise on small circuitboards and less fatiguing for the user. A pencil with 30-45 watts is good. A variable heat control is even better!
A soldering station, is a separate heat controller/power supply and sometimes also has a desoldering tool.

The wire wrap wire refered to is no doubt #30 krynar which is silver plated so it is easy to solder and small enuf to use. Many wire wrap tools have a stripper built in. You can strip the insulation with a good adjustable stripper, just be careful not to nick the wire because it will break.

Hello,
3. Any generic tips for someone who's never done this before? Any practice tips (little projects to give me some skills before I risk killing a $300 pda?)

Even spending some time just soldering some wires or other small cheap components together should give you the confidence you need. I would spend a few hours with whatever tools you decide to use, getting to know them.

As some of the others above suggest, a soldering pencil is, perhaps, your best bet.

Wire wrap is just another way to make connections, without soldering. That, too, takes some practice.

Best wishes with your project,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back