Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Toy: Arduino!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucson Annie

Hi Guys,

I got a new toy! I bought an Arduino microcontroller board! I've been watching videos about it all morning....looks like lots of fun!

Any good ideas for beginner projects?

Annie :)

I have a BS2 homework board. I can't think of anything either :)

PS: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I got a new toy! I bought an Arduino microcontroller board! I've been watching videos about it all morning....looks like lots of fun!

Any good ideas for beginner projects?

Annie :)

hi,
IIRC you play the guitar, why not a electronic guitar tuning project.
I know that some OP's have asked in the past.

Those things are awesome. I have a commercial one, and it tunes my guitar beautifully! For everthing gained, there is something lost, however. I never learned to tune it accurately by ear.

Those things are awesome. I have a commercial one, and it tunes my guitar beautifully! For everthing gained, there is something lost, however. I never learned to tune it accurately by ear.

In various of my daughters bands (she plays mostly bass) the guitarists have passed their guitars over for tuning mid-gig, as she can do it by ear far faster than messing about with tuners :D

Annoying thing is, her first bass came with a tuner, and I bought her a better one a bit later - then she stopped using them totally years ago :(

I don't thing you can learn to tune by ear, I think you can either do it, or you can't.

In various of my daughters bands (she plays mostly bass) the guitarists have passed their guitars over for tuning mid-gig, as she can do it by ear far faster than messing about with tuners :D

Annoying thing is, her first bass came with a tuner, and I bought her a better one a bit later - then she stopped using them totally years ago :(

I don't thing you can learn to tune by ear, I think you can either do it, or you can't.

Oh I disagree, Nigel! I have taught lots of people to tune by ear....there is an easy trick...once you get it, you are good to go....you gotta listen to the harmonic frequencies....they shake...the farther away two strings are from being in tune, the faster they shake....when you get in tune, they stop shaking.....easy as pi!

:)

Relative tuning just involves tuning the strings to match a certain fret of the next string. You just need the low E string to be in tune first.
Electronics tuners are much easier though.

Last edited:
Okay, now I am REALLY having fun! I know most of you guys are light years beyond what I do with my little circuits, parts and ideas, but I swear I feel like a kid! I just wrote my first little example program for the Arduino....I just copied the code from a book....it blinks an LED....the language is called Processing, I think....it's based on C, I believe. I've taken programming classes and goofed around with Python and Javascript before so I'm not completely in the dark about programming...

Anyway, I fired up the Arduino for the first time, wrote the little program, compiled it, uploaded it to the board and bada bing! A blinking LED! Now I can move on to more advanced stuff, lol.....

Ahhhhhhh, the little things in life!

Anyway, I fired up the Arduino for the first time, wrote the little program, compiled it, uploaded it to the board and bada bing! A blinking LED! Now I can move on to more advanced stuff, lol.....

The Arduino is a great choice, and a nice complement to op amps. Use the op amps to condition the inputs, or buffer the oputputs. I have been teaching some about Arduino and have a long interest in op amps.

Some posting that may be of interest:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Would you say you are Up in the Sky over the Arduino?

For basic fun parts I think after LED's are basic hobby servo's which you can get real cheap. I'm sure there are Arduino libraries for working with them.

**broken link removed**

If you want simple break out boards (BOB's) for sensors and peripherals and things, you can check out Sparkfun.

Thanks for the info, Russ! I'll check out the sites, ASAP! I love my Arduino and can't say enough good things about it!

Edit to add that I didn't see the posts after Russ's before replying....thanks to all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back