Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to SMD: What size to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got started with a starter kit from engineeringlab. I also agree 0805 should be the smallest you try unless you simply need to build something tiny. I've done a fair amount of work with 0402 and it's a pain.

I need a microscope for 0402, but 0805 is easy under one of those desktop magnifiers.

Nice assortments and kits are available on ebay, especially nightfire ceramics (nfceramics). They have tweezers, too. I would start with their $16 SMT master bipolar transistor kit.

Last edited:
mneary said:
Nice assortments and kits are available on ebay, especially nightfire ceramics (nfceramics). They have tweezers, too. I would start with their $16 SMT master bipolar transistor kit.
I have to second that. Get an assortment on EBAY that covers these values and the ones inbetween. You can stock up on the common values when the kit starts getting low.

Ok sounds like Im going to buy the following from newark:

0805 Caps and Resistors:
0.1uf
0.01uf
1uf
10uf
100uf

100ohm
1kohm
330ohm
10kohm
100kohm
1milohm
10milohm
I think you are not going to like the limitations of the values that you selected. When getting started, it's best to use the experience of the people selling the beginners kits.

This kit sounds good:
**broken link removed**

That's the kit I bought, and I'm happy with it. It's great if you have the money.

Have you looked at the nfceramics kits at 1/4 the price?

SpeakerGuy: I thought that I'd test the 0805's that I have to see if they can take 1/10Watts and if so, how hot they'd get.

I took a 220Ohm resistor (Measured at 219.2Ohms) and applied 4.68V using my Atlas LCR meter's SMD Tweezers. (Calculated to be as near as damnit to 0.1Watts) The resistor didn't get warm to touch at all.

Just thought I'd mention this to anyone and also so that you know they don't heat at full power.

Do you use any 1206 resistors ? If so, what power rating are they ?

Thanks.

Nope, no 1206's here, unless we need a capacitor size and type not available in an 0805. 95% of the resistors on our lab shelf is 0805 or 1/4W axial.

I just made a linear regulated constant current source for a guy here at work, he needed one thrown together real quick, so I grabbed a 12V supply and two LM338K's and a big honkin' heat sink. Delivering 6A into loads that generate 3V-9V drops across them makes those get VERY hot :)

Last edited:
I would recommend the E6 series between 10:eek:hm: and 1M:eek:hm: as a bare minimum, plus any really low values for things like current sensing resistors and high values for things like crystal biasing on oscillators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_number#Capacitors_and_resistors

I'd say the E3 range of capacitors of values from 10pf to 1:mu:F, for the larger values you only need whole exponents of 10, eg. 10:mu:F, 100:mu:F etc.

I'd also get some SMT transistors too like the MMBT2222A

Last edited:
I hate ebay, so I dont shop from them. They would have a stupid macro on it, so the thing would bid 25 cents more than you every time you bid.

for IC's, avoid the SS packages, SOIC is the larger version and is much easier. I use a small hobbyist vice for the PCB, and forceps with a rubber band. Seems to work just fine.

The parts I suggested are "buy it now" so there's no automatic jacking of the price. The kit I suggested is $15.99 plus $3.50 shipping.

I've bought from nfceramics before. No hidden charges, excellent service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back