Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to PIC'S and programming???

Status
Not open for further replies.
blueroomelectronics said:
Then what do you get for $73 that you don't need? A USB to RS232 is $14
Umm... That's $63 Canuck bucks, so not quite so bad. The chip itself is a measly four bucks by itself. They're charging pretty good for the rest of the parts.

Nigel Goodwin said:
The thing is you don't need a programmer with a PICAXE, it's very cheap and very easy to use.

Downside is it's fairly slow as it's interpreted, and they only have limited program size.

Yes, slower compared to ASM or compiled code, but running at the default 4mhz they spec it at 1,000 basic commands per sec.

The 28X and 40X chips (both $12 chips) are rated to hold 1,000 lines of basic and can be overclocked to 16 or 20mhz using an external resonator or crystal for 4,000+ commands per sec. The X chips have built in basic commands for the PIC hardware supported serial comm, I2C, SPI as well as built in software support for Sony remote IR, PWM, servo support. They also support an interrupt capability.

All in all a beginner can spend a lot of time exploring and learning a lot before out growing this series. They only have to learn one software package, the program editor.

Best bang for the buck, best chance for initial successes with least amount of outside help. I do feel it's the state of the art starter system for new comers.
Lefty

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, why would you do that?.

Well im so use to putting pulldown resistors on my IC'S inputs to keep them low (0) that i thought i would have to do the same for the PIC?

AXE... gah...

Hmm, I see where your heading - but AXE chips are simply bundled PIC's and are heavily nerfed in some aspects.

2 Options for setup costs of a PIC (USD)

Option 1 (DIY from the PIC device and upwards);

PICKit 2 $34.95 (Programmer)
Breadboard $3
A PIC Micro $4
1 Meter Wire $1
Crystal OSC $0.50
5V Regulator $0.80
Capacitors (For reg and OSC) $0.50

Total; $44.25

Option 2;

Junebug (PICKit 2 built in); $55 built ($45 non assembled)

Total; $55

**broken link removed**
Image from https://www.blueroomelectronics.com

The Junebug is an all in one package designed for learning how to use PIC's and interfacing with devices. With a PICKit 2 Clone built in, you can not only program a complete fist full of different devices - but instantly use the built in LED's/Switches/IR/Potentiometers without creating your own circuits on a breadboard.

Furthermore - you are not limited to the realms of AXE, much more detailed and complete software is available with even more routines then the ones you have listed above (Leftyretro)

Maybe **broken link removed** will help you understand? (Video tutorial on PIC programming)

**broken link removed**

shaneshane1 said:
Well im so use to putting pulldown resistors on my IC'S inputs to keep them low (0) that i thought i would have to do the same for the PIC?

If the Input is floating (eg, waiting for a keypress that ties it to 5V, then yes - use a 10K resistor to pull it back to earth instantly

The input impedance on a PIC is about 10Meg Ohm, that alot.. so after 5V is taken away, you can get 'residual voltage' that will cause miss readings..

like this;

**broken link removed**

More can be found **broken link removed**

gramo said:
AXE... gah...

Hmm, I see where your heading - but AXE chips are simply bundled PIC's and are heavily nerfed in some aspects.

2 Options for setup costs of a PIC (USD)

Option 1 (DIY from the PIC device and upwards);

PICKit 2 $34.95 (Programmer)
Breadboard $3
A PIC Micro $4
1 Meter Wire $1
Crystal OSC $0.50
5V Regulator $0.80
Capacitors (For reg and OSC) $0.50

Total; $44.25

Option 2;

Junebug (PICKit 2 built in); $55 built ($45 non assembled)

Total; $55

**broken link removed**
Image from https://www.blueroomelectronics.com

The Junebug is an all in one package designed for learning how to use PIC's and interfacing with devices. With a PICKit 2 Clone built in, you can not only program a complete fist full of different devices - but instantly use the built in LED's/Switches/IR/Potentiometers without creating your own circuits on a breadboard.

Furthermore - you are not limited to the realms of AXE, much more detailed and complete software is available with even more routines then the ones you have listed above (Leftyretro)

Maybe **broken link removed** will help you understand? (Video tutorial on PIC programming)

**broken link removed**

Yes, a very nice system that then opens up the world of PIC's ASM through their free MPLAB IDE software, and of course Swordfish and all the other powerful compiled basic and other vendors C languages. It certainly is where every advanced PIC user should want to end up at, after getting their feet wet with a Picaxe.. ;)

Lefty

Leftyretro said:
Yes, a very nice system that then opens up the world of PIC's ASM through their free MPLAB IDE software, and of course Swordfish and all the other powerful compiled basic and other vendors C languages. It certainly is where every advanced PIC user should want to end up at, after getting their feet wet with a Picaxe.. ;)

Lefty

AXE is just an overpriced yet somehow well market structured learning package. Buying a Junebug is by its rights the same as AXE - except for one fundamental area - no restrictions. (oh, and it won't AXE at your wallet)

Its just one option out there - but I'd hate to see someone fall into the AXE trap and struggle to expand from it to something else, meanwhile spending cobious amounts in comparison...

Junebug, comes with a similar package, a fist full of examples and guides. Plug it in to your USB port, and start playing...

You can choose a programming language/style that suites you - you do not have to start with ASM - but sidestepping back to it (ASM) one day will open up concepts of how to make even more efficient and structured code... An experience that would be shared on any micro development.

And yes, using stand alone PIC's would be where the intermediate user would find themselves in the future... But for the mean time, there are people like me and hundreds (thousands) of others that are creating tutorials and sharing learning experiences... Picking an AXE over something midstream is like buying the $10 bottle of tomato sauce over the $3 bottle... Both taste the same on a snag. (EDIT - before mass outbreak starts - a snag is Aussie slang for sausage)

I guess this is the beauty of forums and public opinions/experiences, you're not directed by the tunnel vision of any one person, giving the end user a broader scope of whats available - and it leaves threads out of control with multiple subjects like this going :eek:

Last edited:
Well said:

"I guess this is the beauty of forums and public opinions/experiences, you're not directed by the tunnel vision of any one person, giving the end user a broader scope of whats available - and it leaves threads out of control with multiple subjects like this going"

But I would differ in your statement in that I think this thread is exactily what the OP was looking for and asking about and he probably received enough information to chew on for a week or three :D

Lefty

Leftyretro said:
Well said:
But I would differ in your statement in that I think this thread is exactily what the OP was looking for and asking about and he probably received enough information to chew on for a week or three :D Lefty

you are correct, iv taken on board all of what you have all said, and also done a heap of searching, and for ME i have choosen to go with futz's advise for a begginer to PIC'S,(AXE002/030XU), I have not purchased the kit yet,(dont have the money yet) but i have been using the simulator in the Picaxe programming editor, and i am learning heaps, and working things out very easy, so thanks to everyone for all the advise, i wouldn't have been able to make a clear decision without all your help, Thanks everyone!!! :D

Last edited:
Well if it's an PICAxe you're after here's a more reasonably priced $16.95US starter kit. You'll probably want to get a couple of LEDs and switches for it.
**broken link removed**

PS give gramos "Spency's PICBasic" site a read, it's got several well explaind BASIC programming and hardware examples.

No matter what you chose shaneshane1 I'm sure you'll have fun and learn something to boot. Hope you share your projects with us.
**broken link removed**

Well if it's an PICAxe you're after here's a more reasonably priced $16.95US starter kit. You'll probably want to get a couple of LEDs and switches for it.
**broken link removed**
Wow! That's a LOT better deal than that company in Australia. The chip is only another $4 on top of that. I bought my chip from HVW but didn't look at the starter kits at the time.

Looks like HVW doesn't have the USB kits though. :(

Last edited:
Probably work with any USB to RS232 adapter. Tiger Direct sells em for $14.

From the Picaxe forum some have reported that some USB/RS232 adapters don't work well with the Picaxe, something about not properly passing through the RS232 'break' signal that the program editor uses to wake up or interrupt a running Picaxe program and activates the Picaxe bootloader.

So if you don't have a comm port on your PC you might want to check in with that forum on a good brand and model for a USB/Comm adapters.

So far I've been only using a true desk top PC comm port and it works fine. Some have had problems using laptop comm ports as they sometimes use lower voltages for their Comm ports and the simple 2 resistor comm circuit for the picaxe sometimes does not respond well to those lower voltages.

https://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/

Lefty

I thought the PICAxe was a 2 TX/RX system sans handshaking.
USB to RS232 are the bane of programmers, some work plenty don't.
I built the Unicorn kit so I wouldn't have to troubleshoot the things.

I thought the PICAxe was a 2 TX/RX system sans handshaking.
USB to RS232 are the bane of programmers, some work plenty don't.
I built the Unicorn kit so I wouldn't have to troubleshoot the things.

The RS232 break command is really not a handshake per sa. A break in RS232 is any time the line is placed into a continous space condition longer then a legitimate character time, kind of a continous start condition. Not many system use a break command but it is a legacy of the RS-232 standard.

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back