Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to PIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorM

Ive read through the newbie sticky and found Jallib's tutorial PDF (btw for me it fownloaded as a .3 file so i had to rename it to a pdf to read it). I have a couple projects id like to do but think i have some issues understanding PIC's or their purpose.

One project is a fan controller with a LCD to give a temp reading, RPM for fans that support it and a speed control.
-How do you choose the microcontroller for a certain project?
-Is there a breakdown of the model number that tells you more than im getting? Also atleast for the fan control i would need to be able to output say 5v-12v with a 1A draw.
-Does the PIC just control the circuit so my 12v and 1A spec really isnt an issue?
-Are there any good resources on making a thermal readout using thermocouples or reading and displaying a fans RPM? I havent been able to turn up much in my searches.

Im trying to get into working with this and give myself the most flexability possable. My main use will be with the computer. So far in still looking into what i need to make this work so i havent bought anything yet. Overall im just at a loss at where to start since i dont know which PIC i should use. If i could just use the computer screen instead of the lcd that would be fine too but as much as i know that may be harder or less practical.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the lack of understanding :(

Start with a "kitchen sink" style device that has everything you can imagine. Like a 40 or 28 pin device of the 18f4620 family, or the newer "K" series in similar size. For 16f devices the 16f887 family or newer 16f1xxx family. Verify compiler and programmer support for the newer chips.

When all the required resources (a-d, pwm, usart, comparators etc.) are determined, then a smaller PIC could be chosen with the assistance of the **broken link removed**.

One could also look to some of the Microchip demo boards for specific applications. They may already have what you want, like the **broken link removed**. The Mechatronics board is for a brushed dc motor, and as I understand it, some computer fans may be brushless? Board too expensive? then copy the freely availalble schematics to a protoboard, and learn from the demo software lessons/examples. All Microchip really wants to do, is sell chips.

I would suggest looking at a uC that has a large page size and possibly in the 8-bit family to learn how to program them and their capabilities.

Then you can easily move up from there.

take a look at:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/09/01308c.pdf

that is a simple starting point.

I would also research a little on ICSP and you will need to take a look at a good programmer... for starters I would buy a PICKIT2 which is about 35 bucks.

Also pick a language... i prefer C, but basic is also good. It would also help to understand some assembly language.

good luck and hope any of this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back