Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Project, little experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Marchand

Hello,

I have a project (a toy for my nephew) I would like to try & build, but I don't have much experience with building electronics from scratch.

If anyone is interested, these are the specs.

The "receiver" will have a bank of 6 LEDs, powered by either (2) AA or (1) 9V batteries.
The "transmitter" will have a 6-position rotary switch, powered by (2) AA or (1) 9V batteries.

When turning the "transmitter" switch clockwise the LEDs on the "receiver" would turn on, in sequence from 1 - 6 (keeping the previous LEDs lit).
When turning the "transmitter" switch anti-clockwise, the LEDs on the "receiver would turn off, in sequence from 6-1.

I don't know how a signal would be transmitted, but I would really like for the devices to be wireless.
Realistically, how feasible is something like this? I would appreciate it if anyone could sketch out a block diagram.

Thank You for taking the time to read this post.

Hello Eric, welcome to ETO!

The project would be extremely simple if it weren't for wireless transmission. I suppose it comes down to what transmission method you select. Even with the simplest method I can think of (infrared, like your TV remote), you still need something to decode the signals to determine which LED(s) need(s) to be on for a given switch position. This decoding is generally done using a microcontroller, which would require you to program it. That's a whole other topic in and of itself.

Are you prepared to tackle such a project? If you are, I'm sure we could help, but it will require a lot of time and effort on your end.

Regards,
Matt

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, I think I am prepared to tackle this. Really like the remote that MikeMI suggested.
In hopes of simplifying things (and eliminating the need for programming), the L4 latch selector 4-button could work remote as follows:

Button 1 = LEDs 1,2
Button 2 = LED 3
Button 3 = LED 4
Button 4 = LEDs 5,6

Edit: I ordered the L4 latch selector & 4-button keyfob. I have a bunch of components from a raspberry pi kit, LEDs, resistors ("220 ohm 10%" and "16k Ohms 10%") and a small breadboard to test everything out.

Last edited:
This project idea resembles an LED signal strength meter. A microcontroller would be preferred compared to the complexity of using a tone encoder/ decoder with a wireless transmitter & receiver.
My latest endeavour is similar, being scaled consecutive tail lights for my Dodge van. I'm using a wiring harness with a homemade sliding rotary switch on the brake pedal pushrod with series-wired flashers and two 4PDT relays.

My latest endeavour is similar, being scaled consecutive tail lights for my Dodge van. I'm using a wiring harness with a homemade sliding rotary switch on the brake pedal pushrod with series-wired flashers and two 4PDT relays.
It is illegal to modify lights on a motor vehicle in Canada because many people get it wrong with lights that are too dim, too bright and/or are confusing. The little old lady driving behind you has probably never seen Mustang Turn Signals before and wonders why your lights are flashing in sequence so she pulls out to pass you and SMASH. Your Mickey Mouse "homemade sliding rotary switch on the brake pedal pushrod" with many mechanical flashers and relays are just asking for failure, then you will be rear-ended.

The little old lady driving behind you has probably never seen Mustang Turn Signals before and wonders why your lights are flashing in sequence so she pulls out to pass you and SMASH. Your Mickey Mouse "homemade sliding rotary switch on the brake pedal pushrod" with many mechanical flashers and relays are just asking for failure, then you will be rear-ended.
Humorous, but very near to the truth.

JimB

I researched my lighting project, and found no laws would be broken ( Alberta Traffic Safety Act). Right now, it exists only on paper.
Searching the posted circuits for an infrared diode detector, Eric Marchand could try using a decoder to determine and program the desired output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back