Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Member and Levitating Bulb Insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santy35

Hello Everyone!

My name is Tyler, I'm currently a Computer Engineering student and want to learn about some electronics repair techniques.

I am trying to diagnose/repair a FLYTE Levitating bulb which was sent to me and does not work properly.
For those that haven't seen them before this is what I am talking about:

https://flyte.se/pages/flyte

I believe there is a short circuit in the PCB somewhere but don't have much experience in finding which component it could be.

Thus far I have:
-Checked the power supply which is fine, and the voltage coming into the main board is correct.
-Used the multimeter to check some of the first components from the main power, including a Mosfet with label 4419 HLS5FG.
( https://datasheetz.com/data/Discret...s/MOSFETs - Single/785-1024-6-datasheetz.html)

Each lead on the chip had a measurable voltage and same for the BJT (J3Y) just after it. However, I got no voltage reading on many of the nearby components such as the R050 resistor to the right of the MOSFET, which I believe means that it is a 0.05 Ω resistor. It is easier to see in the video just how many components are not showing a voltage but at this point my lack of knowledge is keeping me from knowing which to replace.

My gut tells me that the MOSFET is to blame and it seems to be operating really hot but I really have no clue. Which is why I am here! To get some help from those that know what they're doing, and so that I can learn :)

Thank you very much for taking the time,
Tyler

Here is a link to the video of my testing thus far:
Here is a photo of the PCB:
PCB reduced size.jpg
close up.jpg

It Appears the R050 is Not Connected to Anything.
Probably for an Additional Function that is Not offered on your board.

How Hot are the Mosfets?
I Assume you mean: Q1, Q2, Q3 & Q4?
And possibly also, Q5, Q6, Q7 & Q8?
Actually Burn your Finger?
If Yes, that Might be a Problem.

Last edited:
Whats going on with that wire mod in the middle top of the board? Looks to short out IC3's decoupling cap? Shot in the dark here though without a schematic...

Whats going on with that wire mod in the middle top of the board?

Would that be the leads from the power coupling coil/transformer?

My thoughts are that the mosfets 1 - 8 drive the levitation coils ... to keep the globe floating and rotating ... and then there needs to be a means to transfer power into the levitating globe ... to light up its leds.

Would that be the leads from the power coupling coil/transformer?

My thoughts are that the mosfets 1 - 8 drive the levitation coils ... to keep the globe floating and rotating ... and then there needs to be a means to transfer power into the levitating globe ... to light up its leds.
Ah yes, quite right, my eyes deceived me and for some reason I just thought it was a strange wire mod.

Thanks so much everyone for the help!! Yes that is indeed what the copper wire leads to!

It Appears the R050 is Not Connected to Anything.
Probably for an Additional Function that is Not offered on your board.

How Hot are the Mosfets?
I Assume you mean: Q1, Q2, Q3 & Q4?
And possibly also, Q5, Q6, Q7 & Q8?
Actually Burn your Finger?
If Yes, that Might be a Problem.

I think I am going to start by replacing Q1, Q2... as you suggested! I am just having a hard time finding the part online now with fast shipping instead of waiting like a month from china. I got a few parts from Arrow electronics before but can't seem to find them on their site. Any tips for good places to buy?

Also Q1, Q2 etc only say " CS D882" on them.... im thinking these would be the same?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-10pcs-D...198651?hash=item4b1b196e3b:g:HtUAAOSwIjJZWkTB

I am trying to diagnose/repair a FLYTE Levitating bulb which was sent to me and does not work properly.

Ok ... to help you ... we need more info.

1) What exactly doesn't work properly?

Does it attempt to levitate at all ... or just head off to one side ... or totally dead .... or does it float ... but not light up like it's supposed to???

If you could answer chemelecs's question it would help also. If we know it's just Q1 and Q2 that are getting hot ... that's a lot different to all of them getting hot.

I would be surprised if all transistors are faulty ... Q1 - Q8 ... I would be measuring/comparing them all carefully.

Also Q1, Q2 etc only say " CS D882" on them.... im thinking these would be the same?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-10pcs-D...198651?hash=item4b1b196e3b:g:HtUAAOSwIjJZWkTB

They look like the devices to me ... CSD882 is a legitimate transistor ... or 2SD882 ... though I can't find them elsewhere in that smd package. The ones I've come across (so far) are all in the To126 package ... 30 or 40V at 3A and <10W

There's bound to be a reasonably easily available substitute if you can't wait the time.

If you can fill in the details, I'm sure we can help you more ... otherwise it's just speculation on our parts. Not much point in that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back