Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New malicious email

Status
Not open for further replies.
What AGV(AudioGuru virus?) you both are seriously talking about? Is that AVG?
I am not a virus.:p
I use AVG Internet Security anti-virus and anti-malware program and it works perfectly. Frequently I am surfing and it warns me that a page is trying to download a virus but it stops it.

I am not a virus.:p
I use AVG Internet Security anti-virus and anti-malware program and it works perfectly. Frequently I am surfing and it warns me that a page is trying to download a virus but it stops it.
As noted in my previous post, it didn't work perfectly for me (twice). Don't say you haven't been warned.;)

As noted in my previous post, it didn't work perfectly for me (twice). Don't say you haven't been warned.;)
I don't use the free one, I use the pay one. It updates every day.
My internet provider had good free anti-virus software but it messed up and now they pay for my AVG one.

Not all not always

Hey, email is an excellent means of propagation. People will open anything.

Not always Ron,; at least in my case. I rarely get caught.

AVG by the way, helped me a lot of times.

We got a bad E-mail today at work. The suject was "RE: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". It gave one computer the bule screen of death but seems OK now. The other one never opened the email but it started deleting system32 files. I have not seen anything about this on the web yet. Anyone else see it?
Thanks Andy
Sounds like one that has been around a while. nailed my computer a while back. On mine, it didn't delete files, it switched them to "invisible" so I could see them when I enabled view invisible files.

On mine, you didn't have to open an attachment to get it, just go to an infected web site.

The fix is to clean the bad junk from the registry.

Last edited:
Maybe this sender?

Just deleted one, now from my personal PC sent by

bounce at fullservicesocial . com

It came with an attachement.

Some of the design software I use just flat-out does not run on WIN7. It's not about what "they said", it's about what I know from experience.
I had to buy a new PC that came with Win 7 and most of my software either doesn't run or runs with problems all the time. I lost a lot of good software.

Hi bountyhunter, sorry to hear that. I purchased my last copy of XP Pro some years ago on the web for around 50 bucks. Last time I checked, the best price I found was around $150. People have seemed to realize that XP was the last workable OS that Microsoft made.

Last edited:
didn't delete files, it switched them to "invisible"

Sounds like the Windows Recovery Virus.

I've only had one virus scare since I bought my last PC about 2-1/2 years ago. I'd have to pull it out of the pack and boot it up to remember exactly which one it was but a Trojan keylogger found its way into my browser cache and MSE intercepted it before anything else was affected. OTOH, verifying that MSE had in reality intercepted it was a major PITA. A signature update, complete virus scan, malware scan, CCleaner scan, etc. on every PC I own. It ruined an entire Sunday.

I generally do complete image backups every 6 months or so. If I'm still stumped after a long day of trying, I can just copy what I think I can safely save to a flash drive, swap in the backup drive, and move on. I've never needed to do that because of a virus though, just for failing hard drives.

BTW, I snagged an extra copy of XP for $44 about a year ago. I was shocked when I went looking for another a few months ago. I was going to use the extra copy on another system built from parts in my junk box. Nope. That one is getting the Linux treatment instead. I'll save the copy of XP for something better than and old P3.

Last edited:
Hi bountyhunter, sorry to hear that. I purchased my last copy of XP Pro some years ago on the web for around 50 bucks. Last time I checked, the best price I found was around $150. People have seemed to realize that XP was the last workable OS that Microsoft made.

Really ticked me off that nearly all "Adobe" software is incompatible with Win7 and in most cases, no new versions available. My main audio processing software was cakewalk Pyro and it is stone dead now.

One thing in the software world: whenever they get something "sorta working", it's time to bring out some new buggy software so they can start the process all over. Eight service packs later, time for a new OS.

I wish they would just stop screwing everything up and leave it alone.

Does your email client automatically open HTML messages? If so, you can be infected without clicking on a link via Remote Procedure Calls, ActiveX scripts, and various other means if they are enabled and capable of exploiting any security vulnerabilities. The windows RPC system under ME and prior to XP SP1 was riddled with security holes. I stuck to browsing under 98SE (which didn't support RPC) until XP SP1 was released.

I'd hesitate to call it an admin fail per se but AVG shouldn't be the first line of defense. That should be the end user followed by a system config appropriate to the typical end user followed by a decent backup system. Do your systems hide extensions for known file types? They shouldn't. They will display Anna Kournikova.jpg.exe as Anna Kournikova.jpg and further tempt users to open such attachments. Are any but the most experienced users able to login with administrative rights?

AV vendors are always playing catchup so the latest viruses are always around for days or weeks or even months before the scanners (especially the fast free ones) start detecting them. I'll have to look around and see if there are any new threats out there that caught a couple of AV vendors with their proverbial pants down.
No the PC is not set up to open email automaticly. But the email was open in the preview pane.

Yup, just checked my email this morning and I had the same email. Said it was from "sales", with that same title. I ended up sending it to the spam folder and emptying it, so that it actually deletes it from my email. Thanks for the heads-up, Andy.
Wow sorry you got hit to. Aleast we now know it was not a targeted attack. Did you save any of it? So it can be reported. Andy

I have bin sick of MS for some time now and am going to load an old PC with Ubuntu and play over the holidays. I already use FireFox and Open Office. Time for the yearly backups as well.
Andy

Last edited:
I have bin sick of MS for some time now and am going to load an old PC with Ubuntu and play over the holidays. I already use FireFox and Open Office. Time for the yearly backups as well.
Andy

Now you went and did it. The evil empire will read your post and have revenge. You can also forget getting a Christmas card from Microsoft. Bad Andy, no toys and no card!

Ron

Wow sorry you got hit to. Aleast we now know it was not a targeted attack. Did you save any of it? So it can be reported. Andy

Luckily I wasn't really hit. I saw the title and deleted it (all) right away. I didn't want to save anything, just to be on the safe side. My computer suffered no ill effects. I appreciate the warning, though. I wouldn't have known what to do with it otherwise :p

Now you went and did it. The evil empire will read your post and have revenge. You can also forget getting a Christmas card from Microsoft. Bad Andy, no toys and no card!

Ron
Am I on MS's naughty list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back