Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Laser Printer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Samsung does 1200 DPI.
I'm not sure if it yeilds any better print from 600 DPI for making boards unless you are using 1 mil width traces.
But 3 years ago you couldn't get this resolution for the price.
Back then I picked up a CLP 300 color laser for $60 on a closeout deal and the few times that I used it ,it worked good aswell.
I believe the resolution 600 X 600 for black and 600 X 300 for color.
It made great looking prints but the toner is quite costly for it.
And I never got to use it but for a few test prints as I ran out of toner printing color pictures.
The one test I did do for boards was a test print of its character set and I was amazed at small the detail of the puncuation marks that had transfered to the board such a the comma ,period and semicolon.
They were so fine the I couldn't imagine that they would still be there after the etching process and that was at 600 X 600.

The noticeable imperfections on my finished board is from me touching up a few spots with a marking pen other than that they turned out great for my two very first boards so I am sure my technique will get better as I get experienced making more of them.

jer :)

Hi Steven,
I hope you dont mind me asking you a few questions, (or anyone else that has some suggestions) since you seem to be making some pretty advanced boards this way. What drafting program are you using ? and what type of transfer paper are you using ? I also have a LJ4 I use for making boards but my drafting software is > 20 years old and DOS based. I was looking for something newer that would print to a LJ4.
Thanks.

I use Sprint Layout 5.0
It doesn't have schematic capture and the autorouter is pathetic but if you like to while away the hours tinkering with a layout you'll love it.
You can get a demo version (print & save disabled) from .
I've tried things like Eagle, Ares, Kicad, Autotrax and many others but I always go back to Sprint Layout.
I used to use an old DOS editor called BoardMaker years ago, which was fantastic at the time, but it's a bit dated now.

I have no idea what drafting film I use.
My friend's father used to have a drawing office supply company and when he closed the business I got a couple of rolls of drafting film (for free), same height as A4 on a roll 12" diameter, I have to cut it to width but that's not a big deal as I have enough to last for many years

I used Circuitmaker 2000 and Traxmaker and is the only programs I know right now.
I have tried a few others but the learning curves were a little steep so I didn't spend much time with them and didn't get very far with them as I just wanted to know how to do good with one program.
Since I already have them, I just use them and they do everything that I need them to do for now.
The company was sold to Altium but you might be able to find them if you dig deep enough or on a bit torrent somewhere.

Jer :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back