Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New here thought i would say hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakin09

Hi all
I decided yesterday to sign up and I’m glad I did you guys have been relay help full. I can see me coming to this forum often as I’m starting to learn about electronics in depth.
One of the reasons for me playing around with electronics is iv been around electric all my working live 11 years in one way or other.
I am currently a plc automations engineer which touches electronics but not to deeply as with most things these days if it breaks replace it.
Anyway one project I’m currently doing is building a cockpit dash with working gauges and dials also a 6 point of motion simulation platform to mount it all on.
Anyway for now hi all and look forward to some problem solving.

Last edited:
hi all
i decided yesturday to sign up and im glad idid you guys have been relay help full. I can see me coming to this forum often as im starting to learn about electronics in depth.
One of the reasons for me playing around with electonics is iv been around electric all my working live 11 years :D in one way or other.I currentley a plc automations engineer which touches electronics but not to deeply as with most things these days if it bracks replace it :rolleyes:
anway one project im currently doing is building a cockpit dash with working gauges and dails also a 6 point of motion simulation platform to mount it all on.
anway for now hi all and look forward to some problem solving. :)

This is what I like so much about UK guys - impeccable spelling and punctuation. Such respect for the language, really a tribute to the sublime art of communication.

He put his location in! Thats a Plus in my book! :)
Just watch out for the grammar, spelling and punctuation Nazi's!
They are every where here! ;)
If you post very good, logical and useful info they will attack you on the grammar and spelling! Its a false superiority complex thats running rampant around here. :p
Some can not accept someone else could possibly be better than them in some insignificant way! :eek:

Welcome to the forum! :):):)

I let it slide with you only because I love you so much. With some of these posts it gets to be like actual WORK trying to decipher the damn things.

hi duffy and tcmtech
im not to worried about duffys comments tcmtech if he no`s as much about electronics as he dose about sarcasm the im going to learn alot :p
my spelling mabe rubish but its never held me back yet :)

Last edited:
hi duffy and tcmtech
im not to worried about duffys comments tcmtech if he no`s as much about electronics as he dose about sarcasm the im going to learn alot :p

You don't think it's holding you back? Quit kidding yourself. I wouldn't hire a guy who writes like this.

hi duffy and tcmtech

We're not terribly fussed about spelling, but don't use textspeak, and don't write like the quote above with no capitals in the right place, and no punctuation - it makes it VERY hard to read, and people just won't bother.

Not only did he fill in his location, he also gave a brief background of his career and his current employment, along with some details of a project he is currently working on, without asking for any spoon-feeding.

Spelling and grammar aside, how many introductory posts do we get like this?

How many introductory posts do we get anyway...?

Perhaps those proffering critique would be willing to tutor.

hi, I used to be automation engineer as well .. untill they decided to close down the office. Duhh ..

interesting stuff you can find on here though :)

hi duffy and tcmtech
Sarcasm? You haven't had me weaving my replies through one of your threads yet! Be forewarned! :)

But seriously, here in the States, the Brits have typically been looked upon as masters of communicative and written skills. Good inflection, diction, and grasp of vocabulary has always been a plus for most British citizens. Here on this side of the pond, we have to put up with southern drawls, ebonics and now Spanish. There are government sponsored programs called ESL, English as Second Language aimed at educating incoming foreigners to learn English. It's gotten to be just the opposite and is slowly living up to its name literally... English being the Second [national] Language and Spanish being the primary!:(:mad:

You don't think it's holding you back? Quit kidding yourself. I wouldn't hire a guy who writes like this

I don't care how a person writes or spells! If you can do the job well your hired in my business! Some of the smartest and most resourceful people I know have horrible written language skills.

And a few people I know have absolutely impeccable writing and language skills but I would not trust them to haul garbage without diligent supervision. :)

Sarcasm? You haven't had me weaving my replies through one of your threads yet! Be forewarned! :)

But seriously, here in the States, the Brits have typically been looked upon as masters of communicative and written skills. Good inflection, diction, and grasp of vocabulary has always been a plus for most British citizens. Here on this side of the pond, we have to put up with southern drawls, ebonics and now Spanish. There are government sponsored programs called ESL, English as Second Language aimed at educating incoming foreigners to learn English. It's gotten to be just the opposite and is slowly living up to its name literally... English being the Second [national] Language and Spanish being the primary!:(:mad:

I thought that was just a border state issue like here in SD, not PA. Surprised to hear that.

I wrote this article for my school newspaper awhile back and it got me fired. I guess it was considered politically incorrect.
Here is a copy that ended my journalism career.

EOPS Violates the California Constitution

Legislation put into place by California Senate Bill 164 July, of 1969 was enacted to assist Californians in attending college regardless of economic, social, and educational status.

SB 164 gave birth to the Extended Opportunities Programs and Services, now incorporated in all California Community Colleges. At the surface, this concept seems acceptable, but this program violates the California Constitution.

EOPS gives students whose first language is not English a benefit that other students do not have. For students participating in EOPS, they receive priority registration. What this means is that they are given two weeks for early class registration while other students are not allowed to register.

At the end of the two week period, many of the higher level courses are filled by students of the EOPS, and in turn, non-EOPS students are forced to wait another semester and hope for the best the following semester, or make an attempt to crash the class. This is a crap shoot at best.

This is simply not fair, it is unacceptable, and it is unlawful. Under article 1, section 31a of the California Constitution, it is written;
“The State shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.”

Clearly, priority registration based on English being a second language is preferential treatment, and this violates section 31a of the Ca, Constitution.
Many of the excluded students have jobs, and pay taxes, these same tax dollars are used to exclude them from a system they support.

Last edited:
You don't think it's holding you back? Quit kidding yourself. I wouldn't hire a guy who writes like this.

Hi Deakin
I to have spelling difficulties and like your self work as an engineer, and in my working life it has never slowed me down.
I think to comment like the previous thread is narrow minded !
To think that some one wouldn’t be good at there job because they have bad grammar or cant spell well that is just stupid.
Not only that is this the way you welcome new guy’s its not very inviting is it.

Hi Deakin
I to have spelling difficulties and like your self work as an engineer, and in my working life it has never slowed me down.
I think to comment like the previous thread is narrow minded !
To think that some one wouldn’t be good at there job because they have bad grammar or cant spell well that is just stupid.
Not only that is this the way you welcome new guy’s its not very inviting is it.

I don't care so much about spelling, but it does say something about ones education level. For one to get through undergrad school it is assumed they have some level of communication skills. If these basic skill are lacking, then I might have to wonder about the professional capacity in which this person might serve. I assume we are talking about engineering level. So if one has difficulty with basic communication skills taught in the first two years of college, then there is doubt that the higher skills taught in year 3 and 4 were mastered. It just sets a bad first impression and many would be hiring employers may ignore a resume from such a person.

Personally I do not judge someone based on writing skills, and I think expectations of well developed writing skills in this forum is silly. Some may take this notion to far.

When I told my father I wanted to learn electronics he said. "Hell, you can't even spell electronics".

In England its been recognised that some people have very poor literacy skills and there for miss out on a lot of opportunities. So to help combat this they introduced NVQ, work based training and city and guilds qualifications that is what I started with then moved on to do my HNC, in engineering.
The stigma in England has long gone to start judging ones intelligent levels by the stroke of there pen but more on there abilities and potentials.

Last edited:
One's intelligence level may be very high, yet they have poor communication skills, but unfortunately and a matter of factually, First impressions will act as a imprint on a employers mind. We are talking about a prospective employer are we not?

I would never judge a potential friend based on their skill level in language. I rather judge based on actions and behavior... :)

Last edited:
So to help combat this they introduced NVQ, work based training and city and guilds qualifications that is what I started with then moved on to do my HNC, in engineering.

"So to help combat this they introduced NVQ, work based training, city and guilds qualifications. That is what I started with, then moved on to do my HNC, in engineering."

The stigma in England has long gone to start judging ones intelligent levels by the stroke of there pen but more on there abilities and potentials.

"their"

Setz deinen Arsch in Bewegung!

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back