Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New here and need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastfu

Hi all,
Im trying to come up with a way to control a cubby hole door in my car.

Heres one someone else did

Im completely new to electronics and will be quite honest in saying i don't know anything ;)

The cubby lid already has a press button to operate it and it also has a micro switch that flicks over when it hits top and bottom.

my idea is that when i press the button depending on which side the micro switch is it will send a signal to a delay relay which then send power to the motor for a set amount of time, then when the door shuts it will knock the micro switch over so that next time i press the button the signal will go to a second delay relay, which then opens the door by sending reversed polarity to make it operate the opposite way.

**broken link removed**

any help would be fantastic :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So currently, what does your cubby do when you press the button you mentioned?

The problem with the time delay is that it may cause issues if it is stopped by, for a realistic example, someones hand touching it, it will slow the movement down, thus leading to it not being fully closed. Since it has limit switches, use those as the conditions for when the motor turns off.

There have been several threads on this site for 'chicken coop door' opening/closing automation. Those systems have a similar motor-reversing function and may be worth a search of the forums.

The main problem im struggling with is how i get a constant live feed until it hits the limit switch.
as per the video i want to be able to press the button once and the power stays on until the limit switch :confused: i really am confused

Think of how the windshield wipers in your car work. When you turn them off, they always go to the "park" position. You could tap the switch, and the wipers always make a full sweep. Your situation is the same, but it just happens to have two park positions.

Here is a simple illustration: it works with a system where the motor always turns the same way.

Assuming the motor is parked, it has opened one of the two normally-closed limit switches, so no power is applied to the motor until you tap the push switch. The momentary tap starts the motor moving, so the open limit switches closes, keeping the motor running until it reaches the other limit switch...

It gets more complicated if you need to reverse a DC motor.

Attachments

• Lim.jpg
    Lim.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back