Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new guy here....creating a counter circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalmckanical

Hello everyone. New to the site, seems very informative and helpful. I am also new to electronics.

I’m hoping you guys can help me out. I am building a counter circuit based off the Icm7225 triggered from an optical sensor such as a photomicrosensor from omron or other optical sensor. This is going to count how many rotations a shaft turns, basically a unit counter.
The data sheet say it counts with every negative transition. Does it mean it uses a neg. voltage -5v instead of a pos. voltage +5v ?
I plan on using something like this for a sensor.
would this sensor work? would it directly connect with the chip?
oh this sensor is a NPN should I use a PNP?
If possible would someone please draw a schematic showing how to make this counter? if drawing it is to big of a hassle I understand.

Thank you in advance, lots of questions I know.
I did search this forum but did not find the answer.

If anybody has questions about building computers or computer related questions please feel free to ask. hopefully I can help

The data sheet say it counts with every negative transition. Does it mean it uses a neg. voltage -5v instead of a pos. voltage +5v ?

No, what they are telling you is that the count increments when the incoming clock pulse goes negative (negative transition from logic high to logic low). As to the sensor:

■ Features
• Incorporates an IC chip with a built-in detector element and amplifier.
• Incorporates a detector element with a built-in temperature compensation
circuit.
• A wide supply voltage range: 4.5 to 16 VDC
• Directly connects with C-MOS and TTL.
• High resolution with a 0.5-mm-wide sensing aperture.
• Dark ON model (EE-SX3070); Light ON model (EE-SX4070)
• RoHS Compliant.

Yes, the sensor out can directly drive the counter. You would likely want the EE-SX4070.

Ron

Last edited:
Negative transition is short for negative-going transition or, in this case, +5V to 0V.

Than you for clearing that up guys. So it's plug N play so to speak.
Is there anything else I should be aware of about this chip in order to run reliable for lengths of time in a noisy environment? (next to a DC motor)

Also whats a good program to draw schematics so I can post them if I need further help?

I'm sorry guys I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Is there a way to move it?

Last edited:
A good number of the folks here use:

LTspice IV

LTspice IV is a high performance Spice III simulator, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for easing the simulation of switching regulators. Our enhancements to Spice have made simulating switching regulators extremely fast compared to normal Spice simulators, allowing the user to view waveforms for most switching regulators in just a few minutes. Included in this download are Spice, Macro Models for 80% of Linear Technology's switching regulators, over 200 op amp models, as well as resistors, transistors and MOSFET models.

Works well and can be had free. It can be had here. There is a learning curve but help here as well as online tutorials.

As to noise use shielded cables to your sensor(s) and make sure to place caps at the power pins of your chips. Just employ good design practices and if you have questions just ask here.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back