Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New breed of pop-up messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_Do

Hey all, just wanted to get everyone's impression on the new type of pop up messages that are popping up on people's desktops. It started out with a program called Direct Advertiser, I'm sure everyone read the story on Wired. It looks like Direct Advertiser is gone, but this program is the only one that looks available for all those spammers. Its at **broken link removed**

pop-ups

:( I *HATE* unsolicited pop-up messages. I want to see on the screen that which I have *asked* to see - not what someone wants to force-feed me!

That's why I got 'Smasher' to kill the stuff.

Any company using such things guarantees that I will never be a customer.

Side note: this probably belongs in **** Chat.

Cheers,

Torben

[Edit: Holy cow. That breaks my record for resurrecting dead threads by several years. Need. . .*gasp*. . .more. . .*gasp*. . .coffee!]

Last edited:
What sort of pop-ups?

If you have a problem with your desktop then it sounds like you have a problem with adware or the Windows messaging service is enabled - the default setting is disabled in all newer Windows versions.

If it's when you're online then you haven't got the popup blocker configured correctly. One thing you can try is to use adbloking software, Firefox has a nice adblocking extension called Adblock Plus.

8 years old?
How did you even come across this one and then find it worth responding to? :eek:

Did a pop up get you? :eek::eek:

8 years old?
How did you even come across this one and then find it worth responding to? :eek:

Did a pop up get you? :eek::eek:

:) Nope--no pop-ups here (I don't get viruses or malware anymore since I stopped using Windows).

I searched the forums but vBulletin's brain-damaged search returned everything in chronological order, and that ancient post was at the top of the list. I responded without checking the dates. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back