Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Networked Power Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynr

Hi all

I'd like to get your feedback on the following project before I start pulling out cables from my main in my house.

I am trying to build a power meter which will ultimately be networked so that the data is accessible over the Internet. For the moment, I am trying to get the power meter running. The idea is to measure the current consumed in my home (the main current), and if possible, analyze the signal to see if I can recognize anything (spike detection, etc).

I am trying to use a **broken link removed** as sensor, thinking my house must draw more than 50A on full charge. I am powering it with a 15V DC source and intending to put a 25Ω resistor behind it so that the 0-100A, measured on a scale of 1:2000 becomes a 0-5V signal. I am also using an Arduino Duemilanove to capture the signal and transmit it to my computer. Ultimately, I'll want to use a XBee module or something similar to broadcast the signal.

Thanks

Thanks for your answer. For this particular application, I'd like to have the fine current fluctuations if possible. The wireless power meters you mention lack precision.

YNR,

I have seen several projects like this out there:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I like how Google charts can be used to post usage data to the web. However the IoBridge looks expensive, im sure you can save a pretty penny using an Arduino.

Exactly what type of resolution are you looking for? A spike as in running a hair dryer for about 3 minutes, or spike as in initial starting current of an induction motor? If you want to have a sampling rate large enough to see the second example your going to be dealing with a loooooot of data.

I have been thinking about a power monitoring project for awhile now. I would like to have access to overall house mains consumption as well as individual appliance consumption info. My main concern is making the individual device monitor as small cheep and simple as possible. Possibly communicating via x10 to the mains monitoring unit. My goal would be <$10 per unit. Perhaps when I finish up some more of my current projects I will look into this more.

Google PowerMeter is also a verry interesting project, as a smart grid gets developed.

**broken link removed**

I would love some more information as to the measurement and communication methods these "smart meters" will be using.

~Tyler

I want to be able to detect salient electrical events such as a kettle turned on, etc.

How will you know it's the kettle that turned on? Not something else. In a few years hopefully smart appliances will be the norm with their own network identity.

I will not know. All I want is to be able to see those types of event, not to identify them. Hopefully the appliances will be able to give their status, but for the moment, we're a long way off. So, in the meantime, I'm trying to see what info I can get for cheap and what I can do with it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back