Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

network hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakta

Just seeking opinion really.

Our trusty 1tb network hard drive failed today, and after checking it turns out it's now outside warranty.

I've taken a quick look at her inside and a capacitor has thrown up over it's brothers.

Its a fairly common value and everything else 'looks' okay. Now we were pretty much resigned to replacing the whole thing, but for the price of another is it worth soldering another in?

I'm aware it may have fried other things, but as it's fairly easy to get to and a unit that costs pence, what do you think?

Perhaps there was a reason why the capacitor failed. Maybe it vented due to a supply failure?

Anyway, opinions welcome :)

Last edited:
Yeah, or maybe it was just a really really cheap capacitor :D

there was a time (way before I started looking at individual components) when, for a six month period we used to keep getting motherboards returned at the shop I worked (of all brands funnily enough) and it was always the same thing...swollen capacitors. Then it suddenly stopped.

Think we sometimes just get bad batches :(

Last edited:
Yeah, or maybe it was just a really really cheap capacitor :D

there was a time (way before I started looking at individual components) when, for a six month period we used to keep getting motherboards returned at the shop I worked (of all brands funnily enough) and it was always the same thing...swollen capacitors. Then it suddenly stopped.

Think we sometimes just get bad batches :(

I wonder how you could have missed hearing about the millions of faulty capacitors a few years ago, many of which ended up in PC motherboards - it was all over the news about it. Essentially it was faulty electrolyte, the formula was 'stolen' when an employee moved to a different company, but the formula wasnt finished - hence millions of failing capacitors.

Well when it started with emachines we just thought they were crap computers, so when we started getting Intel and other boards back we revised our opinions to suite and decided the crap was contagious.

Whatever came in - It was always emachines fault.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back