Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need your help some transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

vannman

hi, all i am trying to find some S8050 D-317 transisors or an alternative
these are the only markings available

i have been looking for a while now with no luck, :( any help you can give would be great.

please dont go too techi on me :shock: as i'm no electronic engineer i just know the ones i have are knacked as they have melted along with a few resistors.

cheers guys thanks for your help

simon
s.van1@ntlworld.com

There is no telling what the transistor is from it's marking, you have to see how it is used in the circuit. If you trace some of the circuit and post it I am sure someone can suggest a replacement part.

vannman said:
hi, all i am trying to find some S8050 D-317 transisors or an alternative
these are the only markings available

I'm assuming these are from 'Cybot', the magazine kit robot?. If so see my website at for the circuit of the driver board. The S8050's are just small signal NPN transistors, pretty well anything wil do - personally I'd use a BC107, which is my normal small NPN transistor.

Hi Nigel, thanks for the reply they are not from the robot kit you metioned they are in a controller unit that controls a set of under car LED lighting
there are 4 tubes of LED's and they light up woth several sequences flashing, moving dot, etc you get the gist.

eack bank of 6 LED's lights one after the other, expect they are 6 x 2 volt hense the 12v feed.

i tried Rs components and they don't stock them but they sugested i use Motorola 2N5401 as a replacement but they dont work.

when i tried them the LEDS dont go out they are also dimly lit, i removed one of them and replaced it with the only working S8050 that i had left and the lights responded so i know that there is no other damage to the board.

you are saying NPN and i'm sure that RS said they were PNP!!!!

do you still think the ones you offered will still work for my application?

thanks for the reply
Simon

Well, this is damn strange. I found 2 datasheets for S8050. One was NPN and one was **broken link removed**.
I also found an NPN from Fairchild called SS8050.
2N5401 seems like an unlikely candidate, even if the part is a PNP.

Is there a logo on the part?

vannman said:
you are saying NPN and i'm sure that RS said they were PNP!!!!

do you still think the ones you offered will still work for my application?

The ones in Cybot were definately NPN, as for the BC107 being suitable, it is for the application in Cybot, how about showing us a section of circuit diagram showing how it's used?.

transistor help

Hi ron, thanks for the reply, i found the same thing when i looked 1 saying PNP and another saying NPN.

there are no markings just those letters S8050 D317 i do have 1 that still works is there anyway i can get more info by using a mutimeter on the part?

cheers
simon

Re: transistor help

vannman said:
there are no markings just those letters S8050 D317 i do have 1 that still works is there anyway i can get more info by using a mutimeter on the part?

Yes, test it on the diode test range, it should read from base to both collector and emitter, but only one way round. Compare it to a transistor you know the polarity of, as different meters can have different polarity connections.

On my meter here, an NPN transistor conducts with the red meter lead connected to the base.

vannman said:
Hi ron, thanks for the reply, i found the same thing when i looked 1 saying PNP and another saying NPN.

cheers
simon

Hi Simon,
I don't know if this helps, but this datasheet indicates a PNP transistor with 'D'=hfe 160-300. I suppose the 317 is the date code.
**broken link removed**

TOK ;)

Gorgon said:
vannman said:

cheers
simon

Hi Simon,
I don't know if this helps, but this datasheet indicates a PNP transistor with 'D'=hfe 160-300. I suppose the 317 is the date code.
**broken link removed**

TOK ;)
That's one of the ones I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back