Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

J D Redneck

I am in need of a replacement transformer & don't seem to be able to find one.
Can someone point me at a supplier or maybe suggest an alternative part that I could use....

What is the voltage used on the board, it looks like a simple unregulated supply, the voltage on the relay may give you the indication, look up Hammond and other transformers at DigiKey etc.
Probably a 12v or 24v dc relay.
For a regulated supply you would need a 9vac secondary for 12vdc or a 17v-18vac for 24v, if just providing power for the relay, it is not critical.
Max.

I see now the output is 10v, You should be able to get a close match at DigiKey et al.
You may have to tailor the board a little if you can't get the same footprint.
Max.

I would imagine a 10V transformer is pretty rare?, but a 9V one is a standard voltage, and will be perfectly fine.

As already suggested, you may need to alter the board if you can't find one with the same pinout.

Thnx 4 the help...
My knowledge is limited as I need to study more, but this field is a hobby that interest me...
I can generally fix something that is obvious, but am learning how to diagnose componants...
I don't have the skills to substitute as yet, so I rely on finding an exact replacement...
I will get better.... :)
If I find something that I think will work, I will post it & hopefully you can tell me if I am right...
I have found some 10v secondarys but nothing with 100mA, I am not sure if I need to go to 90mA or 125mA...

Thnx 4 the help...
My knowledge is limited as I need to study more, but this field is a hobby that interest me...
I can generally fix something that is obvious, but am learning how to diagnose componants...
I don't have the skills to substitute as yet, so I rely on finding an exact replacement...
I will get better.... :)
If I find something that I think will work, I will post it & hopefully you can tell me if I am right...
I have found some 10v secondarys but nothing with 100mA, I am not sure if I need to go to 90mA or 125mA...

125mA would be better.

All the transformer is doing is providing the 12V DC for the relay coil, using a simple bridge rectifier and single reservoir capacitor, the switch is between transformer secondary and bridge rectifier.

I would suggest 9V is probably better than 10V, as it will probably give closer to 12V than a 10V transformer would.

If you can find a 9V that fits the board, then go for that - otherwise you may as well go for 10V if you've got to modify the board in either case. It might be easier to fit a chassis mount transformer, and run wires from it's terminals to the PCB - bolt the chassis mount transformer to the top of the PCB, preferably with plastic bolts. Less messing about than bodging the board to make another PCB mount one fit.

Are you in N.A. ?
If so Home depot have some stand-alone versions that you could adapt in a pinch if need be.
They have one with 9v secondary.
Transformers secondaries are not that accurate, it all depends on the supply voltage at the time.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back