Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to know name (P/N) of power connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi,
Sometimes i need to use my EE Mobile router remotely.
Its one of these...

..it needs 12V, 2A.....I can get a battery for that, but what power connector is it (P/N) on the router?

It looks like a common 2.1mm "Roca" style DC connector?

They are typically listed as "DC Power connector" then the pin size and outer barrel diameter - eg. 2.1mm x 5.5mm, for one of the commonest types.

Edit - or fancy ones with screw terminals!

Thankyou very much jjenkinsgb.

I found one at Cricklewood electronics...

...but on the photo, the end bit is not the same....your kindly supplied one from mouser has the correct end....

Though i am wondering if the cricklewood photo is just wrong.
I cant order from mouser, as i find the couriers just wont deliver to a domestic address, especially if there is no-one in to collect, because i am at work.
Cricklewood use Royal Mail, and you just get a pick-up-from-depot note, which is fine.

The Cricklewood connector should also work, but you will have to solder on the wires from the battery. Remember to put in a fuse with the line from battery! +ve goes to center pin (usually - check your router input socket for diagram).
That said, some power connectors are 2.5mm x 5.5 mm. Unless you can measure the original plug with a micrometer, one would be guessing which is the correct one. If ordering from Cricklewood, get one of each, shipping cost will be the same... The 2.5x5.5 will fit a 2.1 socket, but be loose and could cause intermittent power. A 2.1x5.5 will not plug into a 2.5 socket.

but on the photo, the end bit is not the same....your kindly supplied one from mouser has the correct end
Different makers use different designs. The solid tube centre used to be more common, the ones with the "tuning fork" contact tend to be later Japanese-derived ones, from what I can work out.

All the loose ones I have are the solid style. They rely on the sideways pressure from the outer contact to keep some force on the inner pin, if the pin is not split/sprung.

The fork contact ones are in theory more reliable, with the centre having a sprung contact - but the slightest repeated side load and the fork opens up, leaving nothing but plastic in contact! It's common with some laptop PSU connectors and the solution is to stick a pin or needle in the outer gap the fork fits in & pry it inwards to close it up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back