Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to Convert Speaker-out to Line-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Ethridge

This is my first time here and my first time to post. I am not an electronic experimenter and beyond Ohm's law, I know very little about assembling electronic circuits.

I have a project I'm working on that requires me to get the sound from a 8-ohm speaker-out trerminal on an old sound movie projector to the line-in on a VCR. I have no desire to build a circuit like this myself as one mistake could end in the ruining of a perfectly good VCR. I am looking for something commercially available that has already been built and tested by experts.

Some time back, someone told me I needed an attenuator (spelling?) cable. I got one; but, I am afraid to use it as I subsequently discovered that an attenuator cable is supposedly for converting speaker-out to mic, not speaker-out to line-out.

I have searched the internet and have come up with nothing. Perhaps I don't know what search terms to use. In any case, I'm lost on this.

Can someone here help me?

All you probably need is a simple resistive attenuator, this is probably what's in the lead you bought. The only potential problem is how the projector might be wired.

As you already have a lead, I would plug it in and try it - if it's for a microphone input the only difference is the degree of attenuation, but the AGC in the VCR (and turning the volume up on the projector) should take care of that.

So then, you think I won't damage anything if the attenuation is off--even if it is off quite a bit? I ask this because what liittle I know is enough to make me wary of making a mistake that will blow some part of the circuit in the VCR. I do know that the output intended for an 8-ohm speaker is quite a lot different from line-out.

It's just a cheap VCR; but, I would hate to make a silent movie player of it.

Alex Ethridge said:
So then, you think I won't damage anything if the attenuation is off--even if it is off quite a bit? I ask this because what liittle I know is enough to make me wary of making a mistake that will blow some part of the circuit in the VCR. I do know that the output intended for an 8-ohm speaker is quite a lot different from line-out.

What output power is the projector?.

If it's only low power, there won't be a lot of volts out of it anyway, for example 8W into 8 ohms is only 8 volts, 1W is only 2.8V. These figures are for full volume, as you turn it down they fall rapidly, at low volumes you are probably only millivolts - you could simply use a straight lead and keep the volume low, but nicer to use an attenuator.

The attenuation can vary over a massive range without problems, if the lead is for a microphone it will most probably have too much attenuation, but will probably still be fine.

I don't know the power output in watts. I do know it is 8 ohms. This is an old Kodak, Dual-8, sound movie projector made back in the mid- to late 1970's. It was made for home use so I would imagine it has a relatively low wattage. I have the original manual; but, it doesn't mention specifications. It just says it is the (one-quarter-inch phono plug) external speaker terminal. When I plug the phono plug into place, the projector's internal speaker goes silent.

I'll use the attenuator cable I got from Radio Shack and start with very low volume. I'll get back to you with my result.

It worked just fine. Sound is good but not excellent; but, that isn't the fault of the connection.

That brings up another subject: This old projector's sound system offers no bass/treble control. Is there a device I can add to the connection that will give me some control over that? The sound on these old films is a little muffled and I think if I could add some treble or reduce the bass a little, it might be a little easier to understand the voices.

Alex Ethridge said:
It worked just fine. Sound is good but not excellent; but, that isn't the fault of the connection.

That brings up another subject: This old projector's sound system offers no bass/treble control. Is there a device I can add to the connection that will give me some control over that? The sound on these old films is a little muffled and I think if I could add some treble or reduce the bass a little, it might be a little easier to understand the voices.

You could always build a tone control circuit, there are plenty of suitable designs on the net, but it's probably easier to use something you already have. Do you have a HiFi stero amplifier?, you could use the tone controls on that - the only problem being that the tape output sockets are usually after the tone controls - but you could always feed from the speaker outputs, just like with the projector.

A 'nicer' solution though, would be to use a small audio mixer with tone controls, this would also give you the opportunity to add extra commentry or background music to your recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back