Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need to build a 16.1V stablized buckboost

Status
Not open for further replies.

terramir

I need to build a 16.1V buck boost That can handle a Voltage input anywhere from 18.5 to 9 V and current anywhere from 100 mA to 7A
is this possible to make with high efficency?
Let me know if you have a circuit
terramir

:cry: please does someone know of a buckboost circuit that could help me here?
I really need some help
terramir

I mean, better to do this in two steps: build a boost converter with 36V output, and another buck 36V to 16.1V (L4970A from STmicro)

Sure you can!
There's the Cuk converter, which unfortunately creates only negative voltages, so you'd probably cascade the buck/boost converters together.

Efficiency is limited. You can use a MOSFET in place of the flyback diode (if your chip supports it) and save part of the voltage drop losses there. But copper & core losses in the inductors leave you in the range of 80%-90%. Losses are lowest when when your ratio is 1:1 and gets higher from there. Unfortunately, getting losses down requires a lot of very specific knowledge of inductors and detailed specifications on the inductor core you've got, so count on the low end, maybe 70%.

I had did this with the PIC, by the way.

7 amps will require some pretty sizable inductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back