Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some help with building a simple generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bough a couple of these little steam turbines (https://www.stirlingkit.com/products/mini-steam-engine-high-speed-turbine-model-diy-project-part-science-toy), and I would like to make a 12 volt dc generator. (I just need some advice on what motor/motor type to use.) What would be the best way to do this, using a brushed or brushless dc motor? I can also probably build a gear reduction unit to get the right amount of rpms depending on which generator motor I choose.

Thanks in advance -Ray, KD2JID

Doesn’t the alternator also need to have a constantly powered exciter coil?

I would have thought that's the least of your issues :D

There should be enough residual magnetism to make them self excited, but for a small system do you want to waste some of the energy you're producing driving an electro-magnet?.

I would have thought that's the least of your issues :D

There should be enough residual magnetism to make them self excited, but for a small system do you want to waste some of the energy you're producing driving an electro-magnet?.
I'm figuring I can maybe squeeze 5-10 watts out of it to charge a battery hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back