Need some help with building a simple generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bough a couple of these little steam turbines (https://www.stirlingkit.com/products/mini-steam-engine-high-speed-turbine-model-diy-project-part-science-toy), and I would like to make a 12 volt dc generator. (I just need some advice on what motor/motor type to use.) What would be the best way to do this, using a brushed or brushless dc motor? I can also probably build a gear reduction unit to get the right amount of rpms depending on which generator motor I choose.

Thanks in advance -Ray, KD2JID

I don't think my little steam turbine would have enough power to turn the alternator, I could be wrong though.

I wouldn't have thought so, and you would need substantial gearing down as well. Try it with a small DC motor for a start, and see how it works.

Doesn’t the alternator also need to have a constantly powered exciter coil?

I would have thought that's the least of your issues

There should be enough residual magnetism to make them self excited, but for a small system do you want to waste some of the energy you're producing driving an electro-magnet?.

I would have thought that's the least of your issues

There should be enough residual magnetism to make them self excited, but for a small system do you want to waste some of the energy you're producing driving an electro-magnet?.
I'm figuring I can maybe squeeze 5-10 watts out of it to charge a battery hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…