Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need quick Help for 12V NiHm battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need quick solution for charging this 12V NiMh Battery:
**broken link removed**

can somebody please find me a suitable charger on ebay.de or can somebody show me a simple way to make my own charger with electronic components like lm317 or so.

in the headline i write lithium-my mistake, it is NiHm
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Do you need it to be a rapid charge or can you do a standard 15Hr charge?
The rapid chargers are more complicated and expensive, of course.

NiMH (nickel metal hydride) are great batteries, but they have limitations. They do not supply the high current available with NiCd, LiPo or other chemistry. They are also more difficult to charge rapidly (https://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm). Powerstream (and others) do offer rapid chargers at reasonable cost (https://www.powerstream.com/9Vnmh.htm ). I guess the Powerstream version is now obsolete.

As an aside, NiMH (eneloop and others) are my preferred battery for model airplane radios and such. I just live with the slow charge limitation.

John

www.batteryuniversity.com and www.energizer.com (technical info, Ni-MH battery manual) show that a cheap simple charger can easily destroy the battery and show all the things a battery charger IC does properly.
So why not use a battery charger IC?

I have a very simple Ni-Cad charger that does no measurements and continuously overcharges Ni-MH cells. I am using it now. It has been charging and overcharging Chinese Ni-MH AAA cells all day and now they are warm and measure 1.47V each.
I also have an Energizer Ni-MH charger that is simply a stupid current limiter and timed charger. It overcharges a battery that already has some charge in it. If the power fails then its timer starts over again when the power returns and cooks the battery well done.

i did not know about Nihm low current supply and slow charging, thanks for informimg me about that, i will switch to NiCd an build a simple lm317 charger.

thanks for the info.

Try charging some Ni-Cad cells at the same time as charging some Ni-MH cells then feel them all before they are fully charged. The Ni-MH cells normally heat up while charging but the Ni-Cad cells unusually become cooler.

Try charging some Ni-Cad cells at the same time as charging some Ni-MH cells then feel them all before they are fully charged. The Ni-MH cells normally heat up while charging but the Ni-Cad cells unusually become cooler.
That is a clear and well understood difference in the chemistry. NiCd' get warm on discharge. NiMH get warm on charging.

https://www.mpoweruk.com/nicad.htm
https://books.google.com/books?id=v...v=onepage&q=NiCd exothermic discharge&f=false

The TS has not said what his current needs are nor what is an acceptable re-charge time. I wish he would do that. Modern NiMH with very low self-discharge rates have several advantages over NiCd, if the discharge rates and charge times can be met. Other alternatives are lithium batteries. NiCd's are generally safe (they are subject to thermal runaway), but are frowned upon for environmental reasons.

John

Can you still buy NiCds over there in the States? They seem to have beeen phased out in shops this side of the pond.

Very cheap solar garden lights came with Ni-Cad batteries for many years. I bought one recently for only $1.00 and it came with an AA size Ni-Cad rated at only 200mAh. Most solar garden lights now come with a 300mAh or 600mAh Ni-MH AAA cell.
Sine they are cheap then they rust away in a few months so I replace them with Energizer 750mAh AAA Ni-MH cells that have a stainless steel case for no rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back